Setting up a customer database is an important step in getting started with Retail POS. You can import existing customer profiles using a spreadsheet, manually create customer profiles on the customers page, or capture customer information during a sale. You can also create customer groups that allow you to offer additional discounts and increase your reporting capabilities.
Understanding customers in Retail POS
Adding customers to sales improves both your customers’ experience and your selling power.
- Offer loyalty, on account sales, layby, special orders, and service sales.
- Curate special pricing for different customer groups.
- Detailed sales records for the customer (returns and refunds)
- Increased reporting insights for marketing and promotional decisions.
Creating customer profiles
- Navigate to Customers > Customers.
- Click Add customer.
- On the Contact tab, enter the customer's name, email, and phone number.
- Optionally, add the customer to a group, and use the toggle to opt-in (or out) to the customer receiving marketing and promotional emails.
- On the Details tab, enter additional information, such as customer address, additional personal information, and update on account, loyalty, and tax rate preferences.
Click Create new customer to finish.
Creating customer groups
You use customer groups to categorize different types of customers, such as VIP and wholesale customers, and offer them discounts, perks, or special pricing. You can also use groups for targeted marketing and report on sales by group to gain insight into which customers are contributing to your revenue and identify opportunities for future campaigns.
Customers can only belong to one group at a time and must be added to groups on their individual customer page.
- Navigate to Customers > Groups.
- Click Add Group.
- Create a name for the group and click Save Group.
After you have created your groups, you can manage the customers in each group on their individual customer information page. Refer to our Using customer groups article for more information.