On Account sales allow customers to purchase products or services on a credit account that they can pay off later. With Lightspeed Retail, you can easily manage your customer accounts and balances.
Setting limits on customer accounts allows you to guard against risk by making suggested limits and remaining balances easily visible for you and your customers. Limits can be set and edited for individual customer accounts, allowing you to set limits based on a customer’s needs.
Setting a customer’s On Account limit
Setting On Account limits gives your cashiers a clear summary of a customer’s remaining balance and current balance owed on the sales screen. Only admins and users with certain account permissions are able to allow, set, and update On Account limits.
To set or update a customer’s On Account limit:
- Navigate to Customer > Customers.
- Locate the customer you wish to set an On Account limit for and click to expand their profile.
- Click Edit customer.
- Select the Details tab.
- Scroll down to Settings. Under Allow on-account payments click Yes, up to a limit.
- Enter a dollar limit in the On Account limit field.
- Click Save Changes.
Once an On Account balance has been set, the On Account limit and customer balance will appear in the sale screen under Account Balance.
- Ask the customer to pay their balance.
- Ask the customer to make a partial payment and put the remaining balance On Account.
- If you have user permissions to do so, you can allow or increase the customer On Account limit.
Setting On Account limits in bulk
If you need to set On Account balances for multiple customer accounts, you can set and update all at once using a customer import spreadsheet.
- On the Customers page, click Export list.
- Open the .csv file and locate the "on_account_limit" tab.
- Enter a number value to set the dollar amount for each customer's On Account limit. A zero indicates that the customer does not have access to On Account. A number indicates the customer's remaining On Account balance.
- Save the updated spreadsheet and navigate back to Retail POS.
- On the Customers page, click Import customers. Select the spreadsheet and upload to Retail POS.
By default, the On Account limit will be set to $0 for all new customers created after September 9, 2022. For all customers created prior to September 9, 2022, this field will be blank by default until an Admin sets a limit. Only an Admin or other user with On Account permissions can set or change an On Account limit.