North American retailers (US and Canada) using the Retail POS app for iPad can have tipping functionality enabled to prompt customers to add tips on card-based payments and turn the register to the customer to enter a tip value.
Setting up tipping on the Retail POS app
Tipping can only be enabled by Retail Support on behalf of a retailer.
To have tipping enabled for your Retail POS store, use the Help function within your Retail POS store to contact our Retail Support team.
Processing a sale with a tip
1. On the Sell screen, add the products and customer details as normal, then select Pay.
2. Select an integrated card payment type.
3. The tipping prompt will be displayed; to ask the customer for a tip, select Continue to tipping in X seconds.., or simply wait for the time displayed to elapse, then turn the display to face the customer.
- If you do not wish to ask the customer to tip, select Don't ask customer to tip to continue with the sale.
4. The customer will see the sale information under Sale summary and can choose a suggested tip percentage or enter a tip amount as a dollar value. Alternatively, the customer may choose not to tip by selecting No tip.
5. Once the customer has decided on the tip, they will be prompted to turn the display back to the cashier. The tip will now be added to the Sale summary.
6. Select Continue payment to send the payment to the payment terminal.
7. Have the customer process the payment using the payment terminal as normal. Select Next sale to finish.
Reporting on tips in Retail POS
There are two ways to report on tips in Retail POS. This can be done using the Sales report to see total tips collected within a given period, or manually through the Sales history to identify tips applied to individual sales.
To learn more about reporting on tips, refer to our How do I use Sales Reports for Integrated Credit Card Tip Reporting guide.