In the unlikely event that you're temporarily unable to trade using Vend, you can continue to trade manually and capture these sales in Vend later.
Follow the steps below to get set up and start trading manually:
To trade manually, you'd need a set up a few key functions to process and record your sales. These are namely based on inventory management and payment processing.
Temporary sales/inventory record
You will need a way to capture data for all sales processed while trading manually. This can be done using pen and paper, in the form of a sales ledger, or using software on your devices.
You will need to access the best method based on your current situation; i.e if your device(s) are non-functional and/or there is no access to power, you won't be able to record sales data electronically.
Configuring payment terminals
While trading manually, you will not be able to use integrated payment types.
In order to process payments non-integrated temporarily, your terminal will need to be set to standalone mode and payments processed manually.
Please note that not all payment providers allow the use of standalone mode.
Cash drawer access
In Vend, the cash drawer is connected to and triggered by the receipt printer. When trading manually, you will not be able to trigger an open/close of the cash draw and will require the access key to process cash payments using the cash drawer.
For each sale, you will need to record the following data (This can be recorded in a separate ledger or on a manual receipt):
- The item(s) the customer is purchasing
- Record the product name, SKU code, variant type (if applicable), price, and quantity purchased for each item.
- Customer details
- Used to add an existing customer or create a new customer later to capture sales history and customer loyalty. If the customer wishes to receive a receipt once the sale has been entered into Vend, ensure to record the customers email address to later email them a copy.
- Payment information
- Cash: you can simply record the total cash amount taken for the transaction, or if you prefer, the cash taken and change given, depending on your accounting needs.
- Card payment: when accepting standalone card payments, record the amount and retain the transaction information (we recommend keeping a copy of the terminal receipt). Record the payment type and amount against the sale.
Processing manual card payments
- Calculate the sale total and advise the customer of the amount owed
- Enter the amount owed into the payment terminal
- Ask the customer to process their card payment as per normal
- Once accepted, retain the merchant terminal receipt and provide the customer with the customer terminal receipt
Now that you're able to trade with Vend as per normal, you will need to enter the data that you have recorded while trading manually. You can do this by recreating the sale and applying a payment.
Follow the steps below:
- On the Sell Screen (Sell -> Sell), add the product and customer information as recorded. Make any adjustments for pricing/discounts as required.
- Confirm the total matches what has been paid by the customer:
- If they payment type was cash, simply click Pay and then select Cash, then skip the remaining steps
- If the payment was made using a manual card payment, continue to step 3
- Click Park Sale, enter a note (if applicable) and select Park Sale
- Navigate to Sales Ledger, locate the parked sale, and click to expand
- Click "Apply payment / refund" and select the Payment Type
- Enter the amount paid (if different to displayed) and select a payment date
- Click Save to apply the payment
Once the sale has been recreated in Vend, you can choose to send the receipt to the customer via email.
For steps on how to do this, follow our Email Receipts from the Sales History guide.
Our engineers work quickly to identify any outage-related issues and correct the problem to ensure that you're back online as soon as possible.
During this, the engineers will post regular status updates: https://status.vendhq.com/