Updating to iOS 14+ on iPad will prompt you to grant the Retail POS app permissions to access Bluetooth and Local Network settings on your iPad.
If declined, this will cause your printer to no longer function. To fix this, ensure that Bluetooth and Local Network Permissions are enabled in Settings > Lightspeed Retail POS (X) on your device.
This guide provides step-by-step instructions to connect your Star TSP100III to your devices and print receipts by Bluetooth.
For more information on your TSP 100III Bluetooth Printer, refer to Star's Online Manual.
To set up your receipt printer with your PC or iPad, you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed.
You will need a power cable for the printer.
Make sure you've got some 80mm receipt rolls ready to go. To load your receipt roll open the latch on the top right of the printer, place the roll inside, and pull some of the paper through before closing the lid.
Cash drawer (optional)
You may also wish to set up your cash drawer at the same time, to do this you'll need a specialized cash drawer cable. This is similar looking to an ethernet cable but is smaller on one end.
Setting up the Star TSP100III for Windows
1. Connect the power cord to your printer and an electrical outlet.
2. Turn your printer on and wait for the blue light to stop blinking.
3. Insert your paper roll.
4. You are now ready to connect your printer by Bluetooth
Connect by Bluetooth
1. Open Settings from the Windows Start Menu, select Devices > Bluetooth
2. Click the Bluetooth from Off to On
3.Select the device name (TSP100-XXXXX) and click Pair
4. When the connection is completed, "Connected" will be displayed under the device name
Installing your printer driver on your computer
1. Go to the Star Micronics website.
2. Click TSP100 futurePRNT Software Lite to download the latest driver.
3. Head to your Downloads folder and double-click the tsp100 file.
4. From the tsp100 folder, double-click Autorun.
5. From the Compressed (Zipped) Folder windows, click Extract All-> Extract.
6. From the tsp100 folder, double click Autorun.
7. In the new TSP100 futurePRNT window, click Installation -> I Accept.
8. Follow the installations steps to install the printer driver on your computer.
9. Deselect the Launch Star Cloud Services Web site and click Finish once you are done.
Printing on Retail POS with Star
Now that your Star is installed you can start using it to print your receipts in Retail POS.
To perform a test print:
Navigate to Sell > Sales history
Click a sale to expand and click Print receipt
Select a receipt template
- This will take you to the print preview screen. If the Star is not your default printer, click Change and select the printer from the list. You will also want to untick headers and footers and set the paper size to 72mm x 2000mm, 72mm x 200mm or 72mm - receipt. Once done, click Print
If you set your paper size to 72mm x 2000mm, 72mm x 200mm or 72mm - receipt without disabling headers and footers, the printer will not auto cut at the main receipt
Once that's been changed you should be able to print out a receipt.
Once you've got the printer all set up, you can connect your cash drawer.
The cash drawer connects to your receipt printer and is triggered to open when you finish a cash or cheque sale, and the receipt is printed by the printer.
To setup the cash drawer:
1. Plug the RJ12 connector cable from the cash drawer into the receipt printer.
2. Next, head to Devices and Printers on your PC.
3. Right-click on your receipt printer, select Printer Properties > Device Settings.
4. Change the Peripheral Unit Type to Cash Drawer and set the Unit 1 and 2 options to Document Bottom.
If you want your cash drawer to fire before the receipt prints you can set the Unit 1 and 2 options to Document Top.
5. Save these settings and test it by performing a test print from the Sales history
Setting up the Star TSP100III for iPad
1. Open Retail POS app > Settings > Hardware.
2. A modal will appear to add your printer. Tap Follow steps to connect and add a printer > Next.
3. To get your printer ready and perform a hardware self-test, connect your printer to a power source leaving your printer off and load your receipt paper roll in your printer and close your printer’s lid shut.
4. Press and hold the FEED button and turn on your printer.
5. Once your hardware self-test receipt prints, tap Next.
6. Select your printer and tap Next.
7. Select your printer model and tap Next.
8. Under Connected printers, you will see your TSP100 model listed. Tap Add printer.
9. Your iPad will ask you to select a Bluetooth accessory. Tap on your printer's name. There may be a delay before seeing your printer's name as compatible devices may appear.
10. Your printer is now connected to Retail POS. You can choose to rename your printer, perform a Test print, or tap Finish.
Connecting the cash drawer
Once you've got the printer all set up, you can connect up the cash drawer.
The cash drawer connects to your receipt printer and is triggered to open when you finish a cash or cheque sale, and the printer prints the receipt.
To set up the cash drawer, open up the Retail (POS) app and follow the instructions below:
1. Tap the Menu icon (☰) to open the sidebar
2. Tap Settings and choose Hardware
3. Select the printer you want to attach the cash drawer to
4. Plug the RJ12 connector cable from the cash drawer into the receipt printer.
5. On the printer settings page, toggle the Cash drawer enabled setting to On
6. Toggle the Open cash on sale setting to On