The customer may not be ready to take the product(s) away at the time of purchase, or wishes to have them delivered. With unfulfilled sales, you are able to process the sale, mark it for delivery or pickup, and record it in Retail POS.
There may be instances where a customer is not ready to take the product(s) purchased and wishes to have these delivered instead.
You can process the unfulfilled sale the same way, either choosing to order in additional stock from a supplier or another outlet, or simply fulfilling the order from your current inventory.
An unfulfilled sale does not offer a field to capture the customer's address. This will need to be added to the Sales note section when prompted, or as a sales note on the purchase.
If a shipping charge is required, you will need to create a dedicated product to capture this and add it to the sale.
Your customer may not be capable of receiving the product(s) at the time of purchase, such to lack of transportation or time constraints, and wish to come back later to pick it up.
You can process the unfulfilled sale the same way, either choosing to order in additional stock from a supplier or another outlet or simply fulfilling the order from your current inventory, depending on the circumstances.
We recommend confirming an exact pickup date and time with the customer and capturing this in the Sales note to ensure that all parties are aware of when the customer will be returning. This also allows you to determine how you want to fulfill the order with regard to inventory.
- Add the product(s) the customer wishes to purchase to the Sell screen. Click More actions and select Mark as unfulfilled.
- Select Delivery or Pickup, depending on the customer's needs, in the dialogue box that opens.
- Select an existing customer or add a new customer to the sale. Contact details from an existing customer will be prefilled and can be edited to suit the order. New customers will require a name, email, and phone number.
If a customer was already added to the sale before selecting the Mark as unfulfilled option, these details will be prefilled.
- In the Sales note, capture the customer's address for Delivery or date and time for Pickup. These details will be captured in your Sales history and on the customer's receipt.
- Click Mark as unfulfilled to create the in-store order.
- Once the sale has been marked as unfulfilled, you can choose to take full payment, partial payment, or no payment, depending on your in-store policy.
To take a deposit for the sale, enter the deposit value into the Amount to Pay field and select the payment type. Once the payment has been processed, click Save sale.
This payment will now be recorded as revenue received in advance until the sale has been fully paid. You will not be able to fulfill the order until it is fully paid.
- If full payment is taken, click Complete sale to finish. For partial or no payment, click Save sale.
- The order is now recorded in both Fulfillments (Inventory > Fulfillments) and Sales history (Sell > Sales history) as Delivery, unfulfilled or Pickup, unfulfilled.
When an in-store order is created and all products within the order have stock available at the time of sale, it will be recorded in Fulfillments (Inventory > Fulfillments) as a picklist.
The Status will detail whether the fulfillment is New, In progress or Packed. The Type will designate whether the order was created as Delivery or Pickup.
Clicking to expand the sale will display what products need to be picked under Items, how many (QTY), and the delivery or pickup details under Sales notes.
There are two ways to fulfill your order(s):
- Using the Scanner app
- Manually picking the order
Picking the order manually
- Print the order packing slip(s) and shipping label(s) through your normal workflow (outside of Retail POS).
- Pick the items from the packing slip.
- Pack these items into shipping bags/boxes as required.
- Once picked, locate the order on the Fulfillments page, click to expand, and select Mark as packed.
- Prepare the order for delivery or pickup:
- For Delivery orders, attach the package tracking details on your e-Commerce platform. Next, locate the order on the Fulfillments page, click to expand and select Mark as Shipped. Then email the customer to notify that the order has been shipped (including shipping details).
- For Pickup orders, email the customer to notify that the order is ready for collection. Once the customer has collected the order, locate the order on the Fulfillments page, click to expand, and click Mark as picked up.
Once you choose either Mark as shipped or Mark as picked up, the order will then be removed from the Fulfillments page. To access the order once completed, navigate to Sell > Sales history.
Unfulfilled sales for delivery or pickup are intended for products that have stock available at the time of purchase.
If product(s) that the customer wishes to purchase are not in-stock, these sales can be processed as a special order instead. See Special order fulfillment in Retail POS (X-Series) for more information.