Customers are the lifeblood of any business. That means having them accessible and available when it comes selling is important.
There are three ways to create new customers within Vend:
1. Adding new customers within a sale
2. Adding customers individually
3. Importing customers in bulk
Use the following drop-downs for the method that best suits your business.
The first time you encounter a new customer is often during a sale, which is why in Vend you can add and save a new customer for future use without having to exit the active sale! To add a new customer within a sale, follow the steps below:
1. In the Customer search box, type the customer's name, phone number, email, company or customer code.
2. A drop-down will show any pre-existing matching customers. You can keep typing more letters until the results are filtered enough to find your customer.
3. If your customer is not found, you can add the customer without leaving the sale screen. Click Add "x" as new customer and a dialogue box will open where you can input the customers details.
4. Here you can add First Name and Last Name, as well as Email, Contact Number and Customer Group (if your store admin has set one up).
5. To add further details, including Company Name, Website, and Postal Address, click the Details tab.
6. Complete the desired fields, click Create New Customer to finish and proceed with the sale as normal.
We know that you may already have an existing customer base ready to add into your Vend store. You don't need to wait until making a sale to add these into Vend. Here's how:
The Customer screen is a great way to add and maintain your customers.
Here you can add customers individually using Vends built-in function. To begin, navigate to Customers -> Customers.
1. Click the Add Customer button
2. In the dialogue box that opens, you can enter the new customers First Name and Last Name, as well as Email, Contact Number and Customer Group (if your store admin has set one up).
3. To add further details, including Company Name, Website, and Postal Address, click the Details tab.
4. Complete the desired fields and click Create New Customer to finish.
Customers can easily be transferred from an existing system such as MYOB, Outlook or Sharepoint by importing them as a CSV, XLX or XLXS file.
Formatting your customer list for Vend to read
1. To start, navigate to Customers -> Customers.
2. Add a test customer to Vend manually (outlined in the Adding multiple customers individually section above). Make sure to complete all the required fields as this will populate your export fields in the next step.
3. Export your customer list as a CSV by clicking Export List within the Customers screen.
4. Open your current MYOB, Outlook, Sharepoint or other system, and export your customers as an Excel spreadsheet or CSV file.
5. Copy the data from your old customer file (that you exported from Outlook or MYOB) into the Vend customer CSV export file ("First Name" -> first_name, "Last Name" -> last_name, for example)
Some of these customer fields are generated by sales activity in Vend and cannot be 'imported' through the file, including YTD Balance and Loyalty Points.
Importing the customer list into Vend
Once you have created your Vend customer, you'll need to import it into your store.
Don't worry, Vend's spreadsheet checker will look for some of the most common import errors in your file before it imports into your store. It will check for any formatting issues or errors such as column headings and mandatory fields and let you know what needs tweaking.
1. Navigate Customers -> Customers
2. Click Import Customers
3. On the Import Customers page, upload the file by either dragging and dropping it or click browse to search for and add the file.
4. Once you have attached the file, Vend will immediately perform an error check. If the validation is successful, skip to step 6. If Vend detects any errors, you will be taken to the error screen below.
5. Here you'll be able to review the cause of this error and download a new version of your spreadsheet that includes notes of what to fix.
6. Once you've made any changes, remove the error notes from the CSV and reimport the file by either dragging and dropping it into the window or browsing for files again.
7. Once successful, the file should successfully be updated and your complete customer list uploaded in bulk.
If you run into any issues, it's alright! Try the below tips to get back on track:
You may receive warnings before importing. If your CSV contains an incorrectly formatted date of birth for example, you may receive a warning message.
If you receive a warning message you can still proceed with the import but we recommend you make a note of the warnings you receive and fix them if necessary.
Please use commas to separate values
The contents of the file you have tried to import may not be separated correctly. The best way to fix this up is to export an existing customer from Vend as a CSV and make sure you are following the same format in your new CSV as you did at the start of this process.
If you are still unable to upload the file correctly, get in touch with us here.
Please upload a valid file
If you see the screen below, the file type you have tried to import may either be incorrect or corrupt. Double check that this file is a .csv, .xlsx or .xls file and reimport it.