- Once your Retail POS and BigCommerce accounts are connected, Retail POS becomes the system of record.
- You should manage your product catalog, pricing, and inventory information in Retail POS to ensure everything stays accurate and up-to-date.
- BigCommerce feeds important information back to Retail POS such as online sales, new customer or existing customer information associated with a sale, and inventory from a sale to keep stock levels in sync.
- Please click the following link for more on how to use the BigCommerce integration!
Updating products that are linked with BigCommerce
Once you have linked your products in both BigCommerce and Retail POS, apart from the exceptions below, your product will always be automatically updated. All other fields (name, price, tags, type, description, images* quantity etc), including new variants to a product, should be edited in Retail POS when you make updates to your product.
The exceptions are:
- Product UPC/EAN
- Sizing including Width, Height, Depth
- MSRP (Retail Price)
- Sale Price
- Tax Code
- Custom fields
*For all new connections as of 20 May 2021. Connections made prior to this date will require images to be managed manually on each platform
When you edit a product in Retail POS, BigCommerce will automatically be updated when you save the changes. If you need to update a large volume of products, you can complete this via CSV import.
Sometimes, updates take a while to process. If the update does not publish after 1 hour, contact Retail Support.
Hiding products that are linked with BigCommerce
If you make any changes to a hidden product in Retail POS, it will be made visible again in BigCommerce.
You can toggle the visibility of a product in Retail POS if you do not wish to display it in BigCommerce anymore. This can be useful if a product is seasonal, or you no longer sell the product, but may sell it again at some point in the future.
1. Navigate to Catalog > Products and find the product you wish to disable.
2. Click on the pencil icon to edit the product.
3. Once on the Edit product screen, under the Product type field, check the box for Sell on point-of-sale. This will disable the product in both Retail POS and BigCommerce.
It will no longer be accessible on your BigCommerce store or the Retail POS (X-Series)'s sell screen. However, it does not break the link between the product in Retail POS and BigCommerce, so any updates made to the product in Retail POS will still carry across to the product in BigCommerce.
4. To confirm that this has worked head back to the Product page, find the product, and select the Sell on BigCommerce button.
5. This will take you to the Edit product page for the product on BigCommerce, where you can check what the product's status.
Deleting products that are linked with BigCommerce
I want to delete a product in my BigCommerce store only.
You may not want to delete a product from your Retail POS store, as you can report on the deleted product. However, you may want to remove the item from being sold on BigCommerce. This is useful for items you no longer have in inventory, and will not be reordering.
This does not apply to products with variants. You must delete the variant in Retail POS to remove it from BigCommerce.
To make the product in your BigCommerce store not visible and subsequently delete it only in BigCommerce, follow the steps below:
1. In Retail POS, navigate to Catalog > Products
2. Click on the product you wish to delete in BigCommerce. This will take you to the product detail page.
3. Click the Unpublish from BigCommerce button. The item will still appear on your BigCommerce store at this stage but will be marked as "Not Visible".
4. From there, proceed to delete the product from BigCommerce. This will not affect the product you have in Retail POS.
I want to delete the product from my Retail POS store only
In Retail POS, click the Unpublish button on the product page. This will break the link with BigCommerce. The item will still appear on your BigCommerce store at this stage. Next, delete the item from your Retail POS store.
This is useful for items you only sell online and do not want to sync with Retail POS.
I want to delete the product from my Retail POS store and my BigCommerce store.
To delete the product in both your Retail POS and BigCommerce store, always delete the product in Retail POS. Click on Delete product on the product detail page of the product. This will automatically update your BigCommerce store. Do not manually delete the product in BigCommerce.