- Once your Retail POS and Shopify accounts are connected, Retail POS becomes the system of record.
- You should manage your product catalog, pricing, and inventory information in Retail POS to ensure everything stays accurate and up-to-date.
- Shopify feeds important information back to Retail POS such as online sales, new customer or existing customer information associated with a sale, and inventory from a sale to keep stock levels in sync.
- Please click the following link for more on how to use the Shopify integration!
How does it work?
When a customer places an order in your Shopify store, the order will be recorded in Shopify and an email sent to the customer confirming the sale.
Shopify sales automatically synchronize to Retail POS and appear on both the Sales history (Sell > Sales history) and Fulfillments (Inventory > Fulfillments) pages.
This includes fully paid and unpaid sales. The sale and payments are recorded in the linked outlet on the register you have selected in the Shopify integration settings. The sold amount reduces the inventory level for that outlet. Sales processed in Retail POS do not sync to Shopify.
For information on fulfilling online orders in Retail POS, refer to our Online order fulfillment in Retail POS (X-Series) guide.
What happens if a Shopify order contains a product that isn't in Retail POS?
If a Shopify order contains an item that isn't in your Retail POS inventory, the product will be automatically created and published in Retail POS. If a Shopify order contains an item that exists in Retail POS but isn't published, the item will automatically be published when the order syncs to Retail POS.
How do shipping charges show in Retail POS?
When you link your Shopify store, we'll create a "Shipping Charges" product. Each Shopify order with shipping charges will have this product, with your shipping charge amount, added to the sale.
This means you can also report on the total amount of shipping charges using the product reports in Retail POS.
Retail POS can only import orders with one shipping method included in the order.
What happens if I have a bank deposit payment type?
If you accept payments made via bank deposit, the sale from Shopify will be sent to Retail POS at the time the order is made. The sale balance will show as unpaid.
When the customer pays you, you will need to record the payment and fulfill the order in Shopify and record the payment in Retail POS. Updating the sale in Shopify will not update the sale in Retail POS.
To apply the payment in Retail POS:
- Your register must be open when you apply the payment.
- Locate the sale in the Sales ledger.
- Click the Apply payment link.
- Select the payment type, today's date, and the current time. This time must be after the register was opened and before the register was closed, or your payment will not appear in your register closure reporting.
Where can I find the Shopify order number in the Retail POS sale?
When your Shopify order gets imported into Retail POS, the Shopify order number will automatically populate the Receipt Number field of the sale in Retail POS. This means your Shopify sales in Retail POS will follow the same sequence as your Shopify order numbers.
Importing online orders
Your sales in Shopify will be added to your Retail POS store automatically if automatic updates are enabled. If you have disabled this option, you'll need to add sales to your Retail POS store manually.
From Setup > Apps > Shopify, click the Get all Shopify orders button if you want to import your full order list into Retail POS, or the Get new Shopify orders button if you are importing your most recent orders.
- It is only recommended that you click Get all Shopify orders if it hasn't been done before.
- Shopify orders older than 60 days are unable to be imported into Retail POS.
- Do not unlink and relink your stores unless you are planning on deleting all items from your Shopify store and starting from scratch.
- When the sale from Shopify comes through to Retail POS, the inventory will be deducted for all the products sold on Shopify.