Purchase orders are used in Retail POS to order stock. By creating purchase orders, you can maintain a record of the products you've ordered so you can keep track of orders across suppliers and ensure your inventory numbers stay accurate.
Create a purchase order
- To create a purchase order in Retail POS, navigate to Inventory > Stock control.
- Click Order stock.
- Enter the details for the following information:
- Supplier: Choose the supplier for the order from the drop-down. This supplier will dictate which supplier code and cost price is used for products added to the order that has multiple suppliers recorded. For more information on multiple suppliers, refer to our Multiple suppliers for products in Retail POS (X-Series) guide.
- Delivery recipient: Select the outlet where the stock will be delivered from the drop-down.
- Supplier invoice number: If you have a supplier invoice number, you can enter it for your supplier’s reference.
- Delivery date: This is the expected date of delivery for the order.
- Order number: The order number is generated by Retail POS when you select the outlet. You can edit this number to help you identify your orders.
- Note: Add custom information to your orders, like personal reminders or approval notes.
Adding products using choose products
- To add products, type the product name into the search bar or scan the product barcode.
- Enter the quantity of the product you would like to order. If a product has variants, you can select the variants and quantity from the selection modal, then click Add variants to order.
- When you are finished adding products, click Save.
Adding products via CSV file
You can import products, including supply price and quantity, to a new or saved purchase order from a CSV file. This is helpful to create large stock orders from an existing data file created by a handheld inventory scanner.
- In spreadsheet software like Excel, Open Office, or Google Sheets, create your CSV file. You can download an example CSV template to get started.
- If you choose to create your own file, you will need the following four column headers:
- Handle (optional): the product handle (must match an existing product in Retail POS).
- SKU (mandatory): the product SKU (must match an existing product in Retail POS).
- Supply price (optional): the per-item supply price.
- Quantity (mandatory): the quantity of each item ordered.
If you selected a supplier when you created your purchase order, all the products imported via CSV must have the same supplier as the supplier selected.
- Edit your file as needed and save it to your computer.
- In Retail POS, on the New purchase order page, select Import via CSV then click Import CSV.
- Choose the file from your computer and click Open.
- Click Save.
Adding products from recommendations
If you have set reorder points for products, you can add products from recommendations. This feature automatically suggests products that are at or below their set reorder point.
- Select Choose products.
- Click Add products from recommendations.
- Check off the products you wish to add to the purchase order. To add all of the suggested products, click the Product checkbox.
- Click Add products to order.
If a product is in another open or sent purchase order for the same outlet, it will not be added to the recommended reorder list. If there is a supplier attached to the purchase order, only products from that supplier will be recommended and added to the purchase order.
To learn how to add recommended reorder points and reorder quantity to existing products, refer to our How to add reorder points guide.
Adding products from the catalog
You can import products into a purchase order directly from your Catalog using a bulk action.
- Navigate to Catalog > Products.
- Select the products you wish to order using the checkboxes.
- Once selected, click Choose an action.
- Select Add products to purchase order from the drop-down.
- Select whether you want to Add to an existing purchase order or Create a new purchase order.
- If adding to an existing order, select the order and click Next.
- If creating a new purchase order, choose a Supplier and the Delivery recipient from the drop-downs. The order number will auto-populate.
- Click Next.
- Enter the quantity of the products that you would like to order.
If your cost price has changed from your product's default value, it is important to enter the new value here to correctly calculate your average cost and cost of goods sold figures.
- Once the quantity and cost price are entered, click Add products to order to finish creating the order. You can access this order by navigating to Inventory > Stock control.