There are several reasons that you may want to set custom account codes for a product. These include:
- If you have products with different sales tax rates in Vend and want to send them to different accounts in Xero.
- If you sell both services and goods/products.
- If you sell stock on consignment and want to track these sales separately in Xero.
- To track non-standard products like freight charges and import duties.
There are two types of codes you can customise:
- Sales account code - This references the account in Xero where sales of the product will be recorded.
- Purchase account code - This references the account in Xero where product purchases from stock orders will be sent.
To override the default account mappings, edit the product and enter the account code that you wish this product to be mapped to.
These codes can be imported into Vend using a CSV file. Use the column heading account_code for your sales account (revenue accounts) or account_code_purchases for your purchase account (expense accounts) as shown in the image directly below. Any fields left blank will default to the Xero account you have previously mapped against your sales and purchases fields in Vend.
If you're setting custom account codes for products in Vend, make sure you've set up the corresponding accounts in Xero. You should also ensure the tax assigned to these Xero accounts match the tax rate on the products.