In order to set up your receipt printer with your desktop, you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed.
You will need a power cable for the printer and the supplied USB cable to plug the printer into your computer. If you don’t already have the appropriate USB cable, these can typically be purchased from your local electronics store.
Make sure you have 80mm receipt rolls. To load your receipt roll, open the latch on the top right of the printer, place the roll inside and pull some of the paper through before closing the lid.
Cash drawer (optional)
You may also wish to set up your cash drawer at the same time, to do this you'll need a specialized cash drawer cable. This is similar looking to an ethernet cable but is smaller on one end.
Adding the Epson TM-m30II or TM-m30II-NT to your desktop
Downloading and installing the Epson driver
First, download the latest printer drivers. This is specialized software that helps the printer run correctly on your computer.
To download this, go to Epson's website and select Windows Printer Driver.
1. Click Download page on the latest file and scroll down to confirm the download. You should see the download start in the left-hand corner of the window.
2. When this download is completed, go to your Downloads folder, right-click on the file, and select Extract All...
Not sure where to find the download? Go to Explorer and select Downloads from the left-hand list. The download will also appear at the bottom of Google Chrome, click the arrow here and select show in folder.
3. After extracting the file, a new folder will open. Double-click on the install and follow the installation guide instructions.
Once installed, you will see a confirmation box. Close this and continue to the next step.
Installing your Epson Printer
You will be brought to the printer setup screen where you'll need to input the following information:
1. Model: Select Epson TM-m30II or TM-m30II-NT under model.
2. Name: Type in a name of your choice or leave it as default.
3. Port Type: Set this to USB.
4. Port: Leave as Auto setup.
5. Click Save settings.
6. Click Test print when the option becomes available to confirm the connection between the computer and your printer.
7. Once printed, click Next.
To confirm your printer was installed onto Windows, go to Control Panel > Devices and printer and you will see your TM-m30 listed.
Downloading and installing the Epson driver
1. Download the latest printer drivers. This is specialized software that helps the printer run correctly on your computer. To download this, go to Epson's website, select Mac OS Printer Driver, and click Download page.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Accept tickbox. Next, click the Download button.
3. When this download is completed, open the file to extract and double-click on the .dmg file.
4. Next, double-click the first .pkg file and follow the installation guide instructions.
5. At the end of the installation process, a message will appear saying "The printer is not connected via USB". At this stage, tick Connect printer via network and click Continue.
6. The printer is automatically installed and should appear in System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.
Manually installing your Epson (USB) printer
You may need to install the printer manually if it's not added automatically. You can do so by following these steps:
1. Navigate to System Preferences and open Printers and Scanners.
2. Click the plus (+) and click Add printer or scanner.
3. This will open up a new window to select the printer to be added from the list, which will autofill the name, location, and use.
4. Once you've put in all this information, click Add. Your printer should now be set up and ready!
Enable Receipt Cutting
Once a receipt is printed, your Epson printer needs to be set to automatically cut the receipt from the paper roll. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Head to the following URL: http://localhost:631/printers/. This will take you to CUPS. CUPS is a network printing service used by Mac computers. It allows you to set up your printers on a network, and customize options such as cash drawer setup
Recieve this screen?
Click here to learn how to enable CUPS for your computer.
2. Once in CUPS, Select your printer model (TM-m30II or TM-m30II-NT) from the list below:
3. Select from the drop-down menu Set Default Options.
4. Under Paper Cut, select Cut Per Page from the drop-down menu.
5. Click Set Default Options.
Connecting the cash drawer (optional)
Once you've set up the printer, you can connect a cash drawer.
The cash drawer connects to your receipt printer and is triggered to open when you finish a cash or cheque sale, and the printer prints the receipt.
To set up the cash drawer:
1. Plug the RJ12 connector cable from the cash drawer into the receipt printer.
2. As you did when enabling receipt cutting earlier, go to http://localhost:631/printers/
3. Once in CUPS, Select your printer model (TM-m30II or TM-m30II-NT) from the list.
4. Select from the drop-down menu Set Default Options.
5. Under Buzzer/Cash Drawer Control choose Open Drawer #1.
6. Click the Set Default Options button to complete.
Your cash drawer should now be all set to go! You can test it by printing a receipt from the Sales history. Read the section below for steps on how to do this.
Perform a test print
Now that your Epson TM-m30II or TM-m30II-NT is installed you can start using it to print your receipts in Retail POS.
To perform a test print, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to Sell > Sales history.
2. Click a sale to expand it.
3. Click Print receipt.
4. Select the receipt template you’d like to use.
This will take you to the print preview screen. If the Epson is not your default printer, click Change and select the printer from the list.
Once that's been changed you should be able to print out a receipt.