Star SM-S230i Printer Setup for iPad
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to install a Star SM-S230i for iPad
In order to set up your receipt printer with your iPad, you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed.
As the SM-S230i is a Bluetooth device, it does not require any cables to connect it to your iPad. The only cable you will need for your printer is the power cable to charge the printer. Once fully charged, you can disconnect the power cable.
Make sure you've got your 58mm receipt rolls ready to go. To load your receipt roll open the latch on the top of the printer, place the roll inside and pull some of the paper through before closing the lid.
The SM-S230i is a portable pocket printer that does not have the capability to connect a cash drawer.
Connecting your Star SM-S230i Receipt Printer to your iPad
You'll first need to connect the printer to your iPad in Bluetooth settings. To do this:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPad.
2. Tap the Bluetooth option under General Settings.
3. Ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
Checkpoint 1: The Bluetooth slider should be green and switched to the right. If the slider is to the left and in gray, tap again to ensure Bluetooth is ‘on’.
5. In the Bluetooth Device list on the iPad tap Star Micronics.
6. Type in the device PIN: 1234.
Under 'My Devices', the printer should show a status of 'connected', confirming that the device is successfully connected.
Now that you've got your printer connected up to your iPad you're ready to add it to the Vend app. To do this:
1. Open the Vend Register app and Tap the menu icon. The sidebar will open.
2. Select Settings > Hardware > Add Printer, then tap Add a Printer to set up the printer.
3. In the IP Address field, tap Find and select SM-S230.
4. Select a name for your printer. This can be anything you choose from “Cashier 1” or “Receipt Printer”. Include your selection in the Name field.
5. Under Print Receipts, you can toggle on or off to: Automatically print receipts at the end of the sale. If you don't enable automatic receipt printing, you need to manually print when receipt is needed.
6. Choose the number of receipt copies you’d like to print for each sale.
7. Click Save to add your printer.
Checkpoint 2: Run a test sale to ensure your setup is successful. If your receipt fails to print, go back to Checkpoint 1. Remember to void the test sale after your receipt is printed.