For Vend users, the BigCommerce integration is only available on the Pro or Enterprise plan of our latest pricing. If you’re on the Lite plan, you’ll need to upgrade to connect your Vend store to BigCommerce.
The Vend-BigCommerce integration shares product, inventory, customer and sales information between both systems, simplifying daily operations by saving time on manual admin and double-entry. Information is kept up-to-date between your online and brick-and-mortar stores, so you can be confident that you will only sell stock you have.
Integrating other apps—such as wholesale or complex inventory management systems—with your BigCommerce store may cause you to experience difficulties when using the integration. Please talk to one of our team and test this thoroughly before switching from another integration that links Vend with your BigCommerce store. Any third-party integration that changes your prices or SKUs will cause you to experience difficulties with the integration.
This article includes:
- How the Sync Works
- New BigCommerce Customers
- Existing BigCommerce Customers
- Set up the Integration
Once your Vend and BigCommerce accounts are connected, Vend becomes the source of truth for all product and inventory information, while BigCommerce offers a beautiful storefront experience. It’s highly recommended that you manage your product catalog, pricing and inventory information in Vend to ensure everything is accurate and up-to-date.
BigCommerce also feeds important information back to Vend such as online sales, new customer or existing customer information associated with a sale, and inventory from a sale to keep stock levels in sync.
There are several ways you can connect your Vend and BigCommerce accounts, so to learn more, keep reading below.
If you are new to BigCommerce, you will need to set up your account before connecting it to Vend. Click Find out more to learn more on how to set up.
Once you have set up your BigCommerce account, you are all set to connect your store with Vend. To do this, follow the steps below:
1. In Vend, open the Setup page, and click Add-ons.
2. Find the BigCommerce add-on and click Connect to Vend.
3. This will take you to the Connect to BigCommerce page. Click on I don't have a BigCommerce account. Click Find out more if you would like to learn more about using BigCommerce with Vend. This will take you to a new page where you will be able to learn more about the integration.
If you have an existing BigCommerce account, we strongly recommend talking to someone at Vend first—via Support or your Account Manager—to check your product data is ready to connect with Vend. Sometimes your ecommerce products can require some adjustments before connecting the two systems, so we can help to ensure this is all ready to go before you try to connect your BigCommerce account with Vend. This will minimize any unexpected errors once you connect the integration.
- You will need your store URL and your login credentials to set up the Vend-BigCommerce integration.
We recommend you take a back-up of any product data in either system before you begin. You can export your Vend products on the Product page and you can export your BigCommerce products on their Product page.
We recommend setting up a new register in Vend in the outlet you want to link to BigCommerce.This is so you can accurately track and report on your ecommerce sales, and because sales made in BigCommerce after you close your store’s register for the day will re-open the register. Setting up a separate register ensures all your reporting is clear.
Make sure you have set up all the products you need before activating the Integration. When you first turn it on, you'll have an option to push all your products to BigCommerce. After this point, you'll need to publish them one-by-one.
Once the two stores are linked, it's very important that you manage your product catalog in Vend, as this will keep your inventory levels accurate.
Things to check and things to know
You will need to check the following information for your products in BigCommerce before importing them into Vend, to make the product import as smooth as possible. We still recommend talking to someone at Vend first to help you with this.
- BigCommerce products with an associated Option Set, but without a generated SKU for each option, will not import into Vend. Make sure there are SKUs generated for each option before importing your products to Vend.
- Vend’s catalog does not support hierarchical product types or categories, pricing rules, additional attribute information, or product video links, so these aspects of your products will still need to be managed in BigCommerce.
- Vend also does not support more than 3 variant attributes (or “option sets”) per product. This means if you have a product with 4 or more variants (e.g. a product “candle” has variants for colour AND size AND scent AND container type) then this will need to be reduced to 3 variants (colour AND size AND scent) before importing your products into Vend. Otherwise, the product and any sales associated with that product will fail to import and/or sync to Vend.
How do I set it up?
1. In Vend, open the Setup page, and click Add-ons.
2. Find the BigCommerce add-on and click Connect to Vend.
3. This will take you to the Connect to BigCommerce page. Click on the I have a BigCommerce account. option and you will be able to start entering your BigCommerce store details.
4. Click Next
5. Follow the BigCommerce steps to sign in to your BigCommerce Account.
6. The next page is How do you want to sync your data
7. First, choose a payment type to record BigCommerce payments. We recommend that you set up a separate payment type just for BigCommerce payments so you will be able to distinguish what is being sold online as compared to in-store.
8. Select a register to save BigCommerce sales to. We recommend setting up a new BigCommerce Register to track online sales separately from your in-store purchases. To learn how to set up a new register, click here.
9. Next, choose one or more outlets to sync your inventory with BigCommerce. The outlet associated with the Register you selected will already be greyed-out. If you would like to select more than one outlet, check out this article.
10. Click Connect BigCommerce.
By selecting Back, this will take you to the start of the process, and you will have to input all the fields again.
|Supply Price||Cost Price|
|Retail Price||Default Price|
|"Sell on Point of Sale"||Availability|
|Current Inventory||Current Stock Level|
|Track Inventory||Tracking Method|
If ALL your products are in Vend, and you want them ALL in BigCommerce, click Publish All Products on your BigCommerce set up page in Vend.
When publishing your products from Vend into BigCommerce, the following rules will apply:
- Active Vend products will be set to Visible on BigCommerce
- Inactive or Unpublished products in Vend are set to Not Visible in BigCommerce.
- Active variant products in Vend are set to Enabled in BigCommerce.
- Inactive variant products in Vend are set to Disabled in BigCommerce.
- If all variants for a parent product are set to Inactive, the product will be set to Not Visible in BigCommerce.
- If at least one variant product in a parent product is set to Active, the parent product will be set to visible in BigCommerce.
Important: If you have not checked your product data—or have not spoken to someone at Vend about your product data—then do not proceed with this step yet. Back up any product and inventory information before proceeding with product import.
If ALL your products are in BigCommerce (existing BigCommerce user), click Import All Products on your BigCommerce set up page in Vend.
If you have a high number of products, then it may take some time for these to appear in Vend due to how BigCommerce works with other systems.
When importing your products from BigCommerce into Vend, the following rules will apply:
- Products set to Visible on BigCommerce will be set as Active in Vend.
- Enabled variant products on BigCommerce will be set as Active in Vend.
- Disabled variant products in BigCommerce will be set as Inactive in Vend.
- Not Visible products in BigCommerce should not be imported
2. Find the product on the product page in Vend. Either, select Sell on BigCommerce or click on the name of the product and select the Publish to BigCommerce button.
3. You will be notified that the product is in the process of being published. Only once this is updated with published will the process be complete.
Linking Products between Vend and BigCommerce
If you have products in BOTH systems and would like to link your products, check out this article.
When publishing a new product to Vend, images will also be published from Vend to BigCommerce.
We only send all the images when you first publish the product to BigCommerce or import into Vend. Any additional images need to be directly managed on BigCommerce.
Images in Vend are small sizes, so most customers prefer to add a high-quality photo in BigCommerce.
Composite products: Display as an individual product in BigCommerce, with the information matched to the composite product in Vend, rather than the component items. Sales of a composite product in BigCommerce will still update the inventory of those items in Vend.
Variant products: Display as a single item in BigCommerce, with drop-down menus to select your different variant options on the product's page. This means that you won't be able to display each item in your BigCommerce store separately. If a product is set up as a variant in Vend, all versions of the variant will be sent to BigCommerce. You cannot publish a selection of the versions of the variant to your BigCommerce store. If you want to display each item individually, you'll need to set them up as separate items in your Vend store.
When syncing variant products from BigCommerce to Vend, make sure that the inventory quantity for your variants is set for each variant, and not for the overall parent variant product. If a parent variant product in BigCommerce has an inventory quantity, it will be ignored when imported into Vend.
Once you have linked your products in both BigCommerce and Vend, apart from the exceptions below, your product will always be automatically updated. All other fields (name, price, tags, type, description, quantity etc.), including new variants to a product, should be edited in Vend when you make updates to your product.
The exceptions are:
- Sizing including Width, Height, Depth
- MSRP (Retail Price)
- Sale Price
- Tax Code
- Custom fields
When you edit a product in Vend, BigCommerce will automatically be updated when you save the changes. If you need to update a large volume of products, you can complete this via CSV import.
Sometimes, updates take a while to process. If the update does not publish after 1 hour, contact our Support Team.
If you make any changes to a hidden product in Vend, it will be made visible again in BigCommerce.
You can toggle the visibility of a product in Vend if you do not wish to display it in BigCommerce anymore. This can be useful if a product is seasonal, or you no longer sell the product, but may sell it again at some point in the future.
To hide a product on Vend, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to the Products screen in Vend and find the product you wish to disable.
2. Click on the pencil icon to edit the product.
3. Once on the Edit Product screen, under the Product Type field, click on the green toggle for Sell on Point-of-Sale. This will turn the toggle grey and will disable the product in both Vend and BigCommerce.
It will no longer be accessible on your BigCommerce store or the Vend Sell screen. However, it does not break the link between the product in Vend and BigCommerce, so any updates made to the product in Vend will still carry across to the product in BigCommerce.
4. To confirm that this has worked head back to the Product page, find the product and select View on BigCommerce button on the product page.
5. This will take you to the Edit Product page for the product on BigCommerce, where you will be able to check what the product's status is.
I want to delete the product from my Vend store AND my BigCommerce store.
To delete the product in both your Vend and BigCommerce store, always delete the product in Vend. Click on Delete Product on the product detail page of the product. This will automatically update your BigCommerce store. Do NOT manually delete the product in BigCommerce.
I don't want to sell a product in by BigCommerce store only.
You may not want to delete a product from your Vend store, as you can report on the deleted product. However, you may want to remove the item from being sold on BigCommerce. This is useful for items you no longer have in inventory, and will not be reordering.
This does not apply to products with variants. You must delete the variant in Vend to remove it from BigCommerce.
To make the product in your BigCommerce store Not Visible and subsequently delete it only in BigCommerce, follow the steps below:
1. In Vend, head to the Product page.
2. Click on the product you wish to delete in BigCommerce. This will take you to the product detail page.
3. Click the Unpublish from BigCommerce button. The item will still appear on your BigCommerce store at this stage but will be marked as Not Visible.
4. From there, proceed to delete the product from BigCommerce. This will not affect the product you have in Vend.
- Complete an order, transfer, or stocktake in the Vend outlet(s) linked to your BigCommerce store.
- When the order (transfer or stocktake) is completed in Vend, the changes will be updated in your BigCommerce store.
If you have a lot of products, especially in a stock-take, these changes may take some time to update your BigCommerce store.
- A customer completes a sale (order) in your store.
- In Vend:
- The sale and payments are recorded in the linked outlet on the register you have selected.
- The closed sale reduces the inventory level for that outlet.
- In BigCommerce:
- The order will be recorded.
- An email will be sent to the customer confirming the sale.
- You need to fulfil the order on the BigCommerce order fulfilment page.
- The order fulfilment will send a shipping confirmation to the customer.
If a Shipping Product, Handling Product and/or Wrapping Product is added to the order in BigCommerce, the products will be created in Vend the first time they are attached to a sale and added to the sale in Vend.
|Closed||Awaiting Payment: Customer has completed checkout process, but payment has yet to be confirmed.|
|Closed||Awaiting Fulfilment: Customer has completed the checkout process and payment has been confirmed.|
|Closed||Awaiting Shipment: Order has been pulled and packaged, and is awaiting collection from a shipping provider.|
|Closed||Awaiting Pickup: Order has been pulled, and is awaiting customer pickup from a seller-specified location.|
|Closed||Partially Shipped: Only some items in the order have been shipped, due to some products being pre-order only or other reasons.|
|Closed||Completed: Client has paid for their digital product and their file(s) are available for download.|
|Closed||Shipped: Order has been shipped, but receipt has not been confirmed; seller has used the Ship Items action.|
|Closed||Refunded: Seller has used the Refund action.|
|Closed||Disputed: Customer has initiated a dispute resolution process for the PayPal transaction that paid for the order.|
|Closed||Manual Verification Required: Order on hold while some aspect needs to be manually confirmed.|
|Closed||Partially Refunded: Seller has partially refunded the order.|
|Voided||Cancelled: Seller has cancelled an order, due to a stock inconsistency or other reasons. Voided Declined|
|Voided||Declined: Seller has marked the order as declined for lack of manual payment, or other reasons.|
By default, we have disabled the option to Import All Orders. This option allows you to import all historical orders from your online store into Vend, so you have a record of all online and in-store sales in one place. Using this option can impact your current inventory levels and other information, and rectifying these changes can take some time. However, if importing orders is a requirement for your business, you can reach out to the Support team who will be able to enable the option for your account.
Once you've saved the settings, you're ready to go in Vend.
- Don't unlink and re-link your stores unless you're planning on deleting all items from your BigCommerce store and starting from scratch.
- When the sale from BigCommerce comes through to Vend, the inventory will be deducted for all the products sold on BigCommerce.