You can reset a product's average cost to match its supply price. This will fix your Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) going forward, but it will not retroactively fix previous reports.
We recommend doing this when your store is closed so that your inventory levels are not affected by this process.
To adjust a product's average cost, you need to export it from Retail POS. Then you can add the inventory back using a stock order. This will recalculate the average cost for each product.
You must repeat the steps below for each outlet in your store in order to correct the average cost for a product.
If an outlet is missed, the average cost will not be corrected.
- Navigate to Catalog > Products.
- Use the filters to locate the product(s) you want to adjust. Click the checkbox in the left column to select the product(s).
- Click Export list... and select CSV format.
- Save two copies of this file. The first will be used as a working file and the second will be reserved as a backup.
- Once this is done, navigate to Inventory > Inventory counts.
- Click on Add inventory count.
- Enter a name into the Count name field and choose an outlet.
- Scroll down and select Partial count.
- Scroll down to Filter products and add the products you want to adjust.
- Click Start count.
Refresh the page until the total number of products in the count matches the number of products you want to adjust.
- Do not click Count. Click Review.
- Click Complete. This will revert your inventory to zero for the selected products. Then, click Submit.
Create a stock order CSV file using your exported product list.
- On your computer, locate and open the product list you exported at part one.
- Delete all columns except "sku", "handle", "supply price", and "inventory_outletname".
- Rename the "inventory_outletname" column as "quantity".
- Check that the supply price for the products are correct.
- Save the file.
Order and receive the inventory you had back into Retail POS using the above purchase order.
Important: Large purchase orders will take longer to load.
- Navigate to Inventory > Stock control > Order stock.
- Enter "Fixing average cost" in the Order number or Note field.
- Click Import via CSV and select the stock order CSV file you created in part two.
- Click Save at the top of the page.
- Retail POS will save your purchase order. Now, click Receive.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and enter the correct inventory count for each item.
- Click Receive and then click Receive order.
Your inventory will be added back to Retail POS and the average cost will reset to match the supply price of the product.