A product in Vend can be made inactive or deleted via the Product page. This article talks you through how to make a product inactive or delete a product in Vend.
Note: Deleting variants or making them inactive is discussed separately in the Managing Variants in Vend Help article.
If you have a large number of products you want to make inactive or delete, check out this article.
Make a Product Inactive
There are some situations where you may need to work with a product again. Therefore, we generally do not recommend that you delete products but instead make them Inactive in your store.
To make a single product inactive, follow the steps below:
1. Head to your Product page.
2. Head to the product you want to make inactive.
3. Click on the green toggle button. This makes it inactive.
4. To make your product active again, filter the product page by that status 'Inactive' and click Search.
5. Find the inactive product and click on the grey toggle turning it green and active.
Make Products Inactive or Deactivate Products in Bulk
In some cases, you might want to make bulk changes to your products' status as active or inactive. You can make these changes in bulk on the product page.
1. Head to your Product page. This page will default to showing your active products, so if you wish to make existing inactive prodcts active again you will need to filter the product page by inactive products.
2. On the left side, select the checkboxes next to the products you wish to make the changes to.
3. Click 'Activate Product...' to activate your selected products in bulk, or 'Deactivate Product...' to deactivate products in bulk.
4. In the dialogue box that appears, depending on what you are trying to do, click 'Activate Products' or 'Deactivate Products'.
Note: Selecting the 'Select All' checkbox will only select all the products that have loaded on the page at that time. If you wish to select all products that meet your filtered settings, you will need to scroll down until no more products load, and then click 'Select All'.
Delete a Product
Note: Cashiers will not be able to delete a product unless they have been granted the relevant user permissions. For more information on how to edit user permissions, head to this article.
To delete a product, follow the steps below:
1. Head to the Product page.
2. Find or search for the product you want to delete.
Note: If the product you want to delete is an Inactive product, head to the Inactive tab to find the product to delete.
3. Click on the product name.
4. Click on the Delete Product button.
5. A warning message will pop up to confirm that you want to delete the product. Click OK to confirm.
Note: If a product is a part of an open sale (parked, layby, on account) and/or an open consignment (stock order and inventory count), you will need to close these off as the product cannot be deleted until you do so.
6. The product will be deleted.
Processing a sale with a deleted product.
In some situations, a product may be accidentally deleted when a sale including the same product is being made. Vend allows the deleted product to be sold. However, a notification appears under the deleted product on the Sell Screen. Therefore, if the sale is still in progress and payment has not yet been taken, you can inform your customer that the product was deleted, and offer alternatives, particularly if you don't carry inventory of the product.
Processing returns including a deleted product.
A sale with a deleted product can be returned, and you can process the return following the usual steps. For more information on how to process a return, check out this article.
Unlike a normal return, however, you will be notified on the Sell Screen that the product was deleted.
Once you have processed the return, you will need to decide how to deal with the returned product, as it has been deleted. We recommend adding the product back into your store to ensure that your inventory levels in store are accurate. For more information on how to add products into your store, check out this article.
What happens to my products on Shopify if I delete a product in Vend
Deleting a product (or individual variant product) on Vend will remove the product from Shopify if it is published on Shopify. However, if you delete a product that is unpublished on Shopify, the product will not be removed from Shopify.