Before setting up your receipt template, you'll need the following information:
- What type of printer you're using (Thermal or Standard). If you need help setting up your receipt hardware, refer to the receipt printer drop-down in our Recommended Hardware and Computer Specs for Retail POS (X-Series) guide.
- Company name and tax number (if required for your region).
- Address and other contact details for your store(s).
Company logo - This must be:
- No more than 190px wide for a portable thermal printer.
- No more than 290px wide for a countertop thermal printer.
- No more than 840px wide for a standard desktop printer.
- Black and white, or monochromatic for best results. Colour and greyscale images will not have great results on thermal printers.
Set up your receipt template details
Navigate to Setup > Outlets and registers and click Add receipt template to get started.
You can also edit an existing receipt by scrolling to the bottom of the Outlets and registers page and selecting one of the templates you've already created.
You will now be in the receipt template screen and can start setting up your details.
1. Under General, enter a Template name to identify the template by.
2. Select the Template style. This will be determined by the type of printer you're using. If you are using:
- Standard desktop printer: select the Standard invoice.
- Thermal receipt printer: select the 80-90mm thermal (Standard thermal receipt).
You can set up multiple receipt templates. If you have outlets in different countries, set up one receipt template in each country to deal with any local requirements. Multiple templates are also good in situations where you may want to issue both receipts and tax invoices.
Once the framework for your receipt is set up, you can start customizing the layout.
We have pre-populated many of the fields for you as suggestions of what you may like to include on your receipts. You do not have to make changes to these fields unless you would like to further customize the fields on your receipts.
1. In the Header section, add your Logo to appear at the top of the receipt. Ensure it fits the size requirements (JPG, PNG or GIF file, no wider than 280px.)
2. Enter your Header information. You might want to include:
- Store name
- Contact phone number
- Legal trading name and tax number (alternatively put these in the footer)
- If you want the receipt to be a tax invoice, add the Tax invoice into the Header section.
The header information shouldn't include too much information, this may cause the printouts to become unaligned.
3. Add your Invoice number prefix.
4. Next, you will be able to choose whether to Display served by. This will display who the customer was served by in-store.
5. Under Line items, select the information displayed in the line items of your receipts. You can also select whether to display tax per line item.
Display tax per line item is required in some jurisdictions as per local legal requirements. Please check if this is a requirement in your jurisdiction.
6. Under Totals, customize the labels for the total values on your receipts. In this section, you will also be able to choose whether to Display tax totals, Display loyalty earned, and Display gift card information.
7. Under Customer Information, select whether to Display customer details. When select you can customize what customer information to display on your receipts.
8. Under Footer, enter add additional information in the Footer information field.
In this section, you can also choose the option Display barcode. This will turn the receipt number into a barcode which is printed on the receipt so you can scan to quickly locate the sale if the customer returns to your store. Receipt barcodes are useful if you run a service business, like a dry cleaner or a tailor, or if you have a lot of customers using layby and account sales.
You can also Display a loyalty message which encourages customers to register in your store's Loyalty program.
9. Once you have added all the necessary information to your receipt template, click Save. The final step is assigning a receipt template to your outlet and register.
Assign a receipt template
1. Click on Edit register on your Outlets and registers page.
2. Under Receipts, select which Receipt template you want to use.
3. You may also choose what actions to take at the end of a sale including emailing a receipt or asking for a note on certain types of sales.
4. Select Save register.
Your receipt will now be available for you to assign to an outlet and use for printing.