Once you have turned on your Vend-Xero integration, you will be able to customise more settings. These include:
There are several reasons that you may want to set custom account codes for a product. These include:
- If you have products with different sales tax rates in Vend and want to send them to different accounts in Xero.
- If you sell both services and goods/products.
- If you sell stock on consignment and want to track these sales separately in Xero.
- To track non-standard products like freight charges and import duties.
There are two types of codes you can customise:
1. Sales account code - This references the account in Xero where sales of the product will be recorded.
2. Purchase account code - This references the account in Xero where product purchases from stock orders will be sent.
To override the default account mappings and set custom account codes, follow the steps below:
1. Edit the product and enter the account code that you wish this product to be mapped to.
2. These codes can be imported into Vend using a CSV file.
Use the column heading account_code for your sales account (revenue accounts) or account_code_purchases for your purchase account (expense accounts) as shown in the image directly below.
Any fields left blank will default to the Xero account you have previously mapped against your sales and purchases fields in Vend.
Note: If you're setting custom account codes for products in Vend, make sure you've set up the corresponding accounts in Xero. You should also ensure the tax assigned to these Xero accounts match the tax rate on the products.
If you're an existing Xero customer, and you're new to Vend, you'll probably want to import your contacts from Xero. Vend allows you to import existing customers or suppliers into your Vend account using the 'Import from Xero' option.
Important: If you've already added the same customers or suppliers directly into your Vend account, importing contacts from Xero will create duplicate records. We do not recommend importing contacts in this instance.
1. Importing Xero customers into Vend:
- In Vend, open the Customers page.
- Click the Import button, and choose the Import from Xero option.
- Any contact in Xero labelled as either a customer or a general contact will now be imported. This may take some time if you have a lot of customers in Xero.
Your customers will now be linked to Xero.
Important: If you have linked your customers between Vend and Xero and you edit one of these customers on Xero's end, the changes will not apply in Vend. Next time you edit the customer in Vend or used in an on-account sale, these changes will be overwritten.
Editing your Xero customers in Vend
If you are maintaining your customer details in Vend, either on the Sell Screen or via the Customers page, it is important to ensure that Vend is the master. This means that any changes or edits made to customers should be done in Vend, not in Xero. When you apply any changes to a customer in Vend, these changes will be pushed across to Xero.
All edits you make to customers in Vend will update in Xero, excluding any changes made to the phone number field. To learn more on how to import and edit your Xero customers in Vend, check out this link here.
Important: If you have synced your customers between Vend and Xero and you edit any customer details in Xero, the changes will not apply in Vend. Next time this customer is edited in Vend or used in an on-account sale, the changes you made in Xero will be overwritten.
2. Importing Xero suppliers into Vend
Important: If you've already added your Xero suppliers directly into your Vend account, importing these contacts from Xero will create duplicate records. We do not recommend importing in this instance.
To import your Xero suppliers into Vend, follow the steps below:.
1. Click on the Product tab in the side menu and navigate to the Suppliers page.
2. Once here, click the Import from Xero button to the top right of the screen.
Editing your Xero suppliers in Vend
Currently, only customer details edited and managed in Vend will automatically update in Xero. Any updates you make to your supplier details in Vend will not update in Xero.
Any contacts in Xero who are set as suppliers will now be imported to Vend. This may take some time if you have a lot of suppliers in Xero.
For more information on the Vend-Xero Integration, check out these articles.