This guide provides step-by-step instructions on installing an Epson TM-T82II Receipt Printer for Mac Computers.
In order to set up your receipt printer with your Mac, Windows PC or iPad you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed.
You will need a power cable for the printer and an ethernet cable to plug the printer into your internet router. If you don't already have an ethernet cable ask your printer supplier to include one when you buy the printer or pick one up from your local electronics store.
Make sure you've got some 80mm receipt rolls ready to go. To load your receipt roll open the latch on the top right of the printer, place the roll inside and pull some of the paper through before closing the lid.
Cash Drawer (Optional)
You may also wish to set up your cash drawer at the same time, to do this you'll need a specialised cash drawer cable. This is similar looking to an ethernet cable but is smaller on one end.
Adding the Epson TM-82II to your Mac
Downloading and installing the Epson driver
1. First, you will need to download the latest printer drivers for your computer. This is specialised software that helps the printer run correctly on your computer. To get this head over to Epson's website here and select Mac OS Printer Driver. Find the TM-T82II Driver and click Download page.
2. On this new screen, scroll down to confirm the download. You should see the download start in the bottom left-hand corner of your Google Chrome browser window.
2. When this download is completed, open the file to extract it and double click on the .dmg file.
Checkpoint: Not sure where to find the download? Go to Finder and select Downloads from the left-hand list. The download will also appear at the bottom of Google Chrome, click the arrow and select show in folder.
3. Next, double-click the first .pkg file and follow the installation guide instructions.
4. At the end of the installation process, a message will appear saying "The printer is not connected via USB". At this stage, we want to tick Connect printer via network and click on Continue.
Installing your Epson printer
Now that you have installed the printer driver, you will need to install the printer itself, on your Mac.
1. Navigate to System Preferences and open Printers and Scanners.
2. Here, use the plus in the bottom left corner and click Add printer or Scanner.
This will open up a new window where you'll need to put in some information.
3. Select IP along the top and follow the instructions below to fill out the form correctly:
Address: This is where you need to put in your printer's IP address. To find this press and hold the 'push' button on the back of the printer for about 4 seconds. The printer will print out the network settings, and you should see the IP address listed up the top.
Protocol: Select Line Printer Daemon - LPD from the dropdown.
Queue: Leave this blank.
Name: This is an optional field but if you'd like to customise the name of your receipt put it in here.
Location: Leave this blank.
Use: Pick Select Software... from the drop-down. This will open up a new window.
4. Search for Epson in the top right, locate EPSON TM-T82II and click OK.
Once you've put in all this information click Add. Your printer should now be set up and ready to go!
Printing on Vend with your Epson printer
Now that your EPSON is installed you can start using it to print your receipts in Vend.
To perform a test print:
1. Head over to the History tab and click on a sale.
2. Click view receipt.
3. Pick the receipt template you’d like to use and click Print.
4. This will take you to the print preview screen. If the Epson is not your default printer, click Change and select the printer from the list.
Once that's been changed you should be able to print out a receipt.
Connecting the Cash Drawer
Once you've got the printer all set up, you can connect up the cash drawer.
The cash drawer connects to your receipt printer and is triggered to open when you finish a cash or cheque sale, and the printer prints the receipt.
Tip: You can manually open the cash drawer by clicking Command + E if you are using the old Vend Sell Screen or by performing a test sale if you are using Register for Mac.
To setup the Cash Drawer:
1. Plug the RJ12 connector cable (the one that looks similar to a phone line) from the cash drawer into the receipt printer.
2. Head to the following URL: http://localhost:631/printers/. This will take you to CUPS. CUPS is a network printing service used by Mac computers. It allows you to setup your printers on a network, and customise options such as cash drawer setup.
Recieve this screen? Click here to learn how to enable CUPS for your computer.
3. Once in CUPS, Select your printer model from the list below:
4. Select from the drop-down menu Set Default Options.
5. From here, select Cash Drawer Control choose Open after printing for both Cash Drawer #1 and Cash Drawer #2.
6. Click the Set Default Options button to complete.
Your cash drawer should now be all set to go! You can test it out by clicking Command + E on your keyboard when performing a test sale on the Sell Screen.