The Navigation is essentially a collection of links. These could be Pages, Collections, external links, or another Navigation.
There are two types of Navigation you can set up:
- Main Menu: This is the primary menu navigation for your store and is created by default. Depending on your theme, it might be at the top or the side of your page.
- Sub-menus: You can create multiple sub-menus. Sub-menus are used to create a drop-down within your main menu. For example, your main menu might have the option 'Women'. This would link to a sub-menu 'Women' which had your collections linked to it.
Before you start setting up your menus, it is a good idea to draw or plan out your menu structure. This can save you loads of time as you'll be able to get a great idea of how you want your Navigation to look before creating it in Vend Ecommerce. The plan below was done on a computer but even just sketching one out on a piece of paper can be a big help.
When you're ready, you can start to set up your Navigation. It's best to start with any sub-menus, as you'll need these created before you can link them to your main menu. To begin, follow the instructions below:
You will need:
- the URLs of any external web pages you want to link
- the list handle (slug) of a sub-menu, if you're linking it in the main menu.
To create or edit a Navigation list:
In your Ecommerce store, under Design, choose Navigation.
If you're: - Creating a sub-menu, click Add Navigation List.
Editing an existing menu list (like the main menu), click the list name.
Name your Navigation list. A 'slug' (a handle for your list) will automatically be created.
Click Add a link.
- Name the link. This is what will appear on the Navigation menu in your Ecommerce store.
- Select the type of link. This can be:
- Frontpage. The homepage/landing page of your store.
- Web Address. An external web address OR the list-handle (slug) of one of your sub-menus.
- Collection. One of your collections.
- Page. One of your pages.
- For all the options other than Frontpage, you'll then need to provide more details:
- Web Address. For a sub-menu, just type the list-handle (slug) name exactly. For an external URL, you'll need to include the http:// at the start, for example http://google.com.
- Collection/Page. Select the collection/page you want to link to from the drop-down.
- Click Add a link to add another link (you might have to scroll up).
- Once you're done, click Save (at the bottom of the page).
Repeat the above steps to create each sub-menu, and then finally edit the main menu to create this.
For more information on Vend Ecommerce, check out this article.