Enable gift card expiry dates
To enable expiry dates for your gift cards, follow the steps below:
1. Head over to Catalog > Gift cards
2. On this page, locate the Expiry section and click the button so that it displays a purple tick.
3. The Expires in will appear with a text field and a drop-down menu.
In the drop-down menu select whether you'd like your gift cards to expire within a matter of days, months, or years. In the text box, specify the number of days, months, or years until newly issued gift cards expire.
Gift cards will be redeemable up to and on the expiry date.
4. Once you have completed these steps, all newly issued gift cards will have your chosen expiry date applied.
If you have a Xero account connected to Retail POS, you will need to set up your store so that gift card expiry revenue posts to Xero when gift cards expire.
If the correct Xero revenue account is not mapped for gift card expiry on the Xero settings page (Setup > Apps > Xero), these transactions (and all other transactions) will not sync to Xero.
To map your gift card expiry revenue to Xero:
1. Head to the Retail POS > Xero mappings page by following the link in the gift card expiry section:
Or by navigating to Setup > Apps in the sidebar and clicking on the pen icon next to Xero:
2. Once here, navigate to the Accounts for liability and expiry section and choose your desired revenue account beneath Gift card expiry revenue. Setting this up will mean that the remaining value of all expired gift cards will be posted as revenue to Xero.
3. Click save.
When a gift card expires it will be posted to Xero as a journal entry.
If you have a QuickBooks Online account connected to Retail POS, you will need to set up your store so that Gift card expiry revenue posts to QuickBooks Online when gift cards expire.
If you do not map the correct QuickBooks Online account for gift cards expiry revenue, these transactions (and all other transactions) will not flow through to QuickBooks Online.
To map your gift card expiry revenue to QuickBooks Online:
1. Navigate to Setup > Apps in the sidebar and clicking the pencil icon next to QuickBooks Online.
2. Once here, navigate to your Liabilities section and choose your desired account beneath Gift card expiry. Setting this up will mean that the remaining value of all expired gift cards will be posted as revenue to QuickBooks Online.
3. Click save
Checking expiry dates
If your customer would like to check when their gift card expires, add the gift card product to the sell screen as normal and scan or enter the gift card code. The details of this gift card will appear, including the expiry date and a history of the gift card.
Gift card expiry date FAQs
What if a gift card has expired, but I still want to honor the gift card?
Unfortunately, you cannot reissue the gift card. However, you can view this article to learn more about honoring an expired gift card.
Why don't I see gift card expiry dates on the Retail POS (X-Series) iPad app?
This feature is currently only available in Retail POS (X-Series) for Mac and PC. Gift card expiry will be available on iPad soon!
What happens to all the gift cards that I've already issued?
Gift cards that have already been issued will not have an expiry date. Only gift cards issued after you enable gift card expiry will have an expiry date.
Is the gift card expiry print on the receipt?
No, not at this stage.
What if my gift cards failed to post to Xero?
An error message will appear on the gift card report page if you have any gift cards that have failed to post to Xero. On this page you will be given the option to re-post the failed transaction(s) to Xero. You will also receive a notification identifying the error has occurred.