While Retail POS is best suited for inventory-based retail, you may need to sell some of your products based on weight rather than on a per-unit basis. You can set up your store to sell weighted goods such as fruits and vegetables or bulk coffee and tea by creating a weighted product.
If you use integrations such as WooCommerce, BigCommerce, and Shopify, weight and dimension product information do not sync to your products, and you won't have access to the weight and dimension feature on the Edit Product page.
Create a weighted product
First, you will need to create a product. Because we are selling by weight, it is important to think of the product based on it's unit of measure. You will need to specify the price per unit of measure rather than setting the supply and retail price per individual item.
To specify the price per unit:
- Navigate to Products > Add product.
- Name your product.
Note: You may wish to include the unit of measure in the product name to show that the product price is calculated based on product weight not item quantity. Alternatively, you may add this information in the product description.
- Add other information to the product description, category, or tags.
- Add the supplier information and price of the product based on weight. You can also add any inventory by weight already in stock, or refer to the next section to order stock by weight.
- Add the retail price and any loyalty information.
- Click Save.
Order by weight
Now that you have added your product information, you will need to add some stock. Order stock following the instructions for Creating a purchase order, however be sure to add the stock by weight rather than per unit. If for example, you want to order 10kg of coffee beans, you will order 10 of the "1kg coffee beans" product.
Sell by weight
To sell a product by weight:
- Add your weighted product to the sell screen.
- Change the "quantity sold" to the weight listed on your scales. For example, if you are selling 1.85kgs of coffee beans, click the "1kg coffee beans" product in the sale line and change the quantity to 1.85. This will automatically adjust the price to the amount equal to the 1.85kgs worth of coffee beans, in this case, $46.25 worth of coffee beans at $25 per kg.
- Complete the sale as usual.
How to use barcodes with embedded weight/price