Users are the individual accounts associated with your staff members. Each has specific permissions that allow them to undertake tasks specific to their user role.
There are three user roles in Retail POS:
- Cashier: The cashier is the ideal user role to assign to your non-management staff. They are able to do tasks such as process sales, transfer stock and close off the register, but are restricted from management functions such as adding and editing products, or access reporting.
- Manager: The manager user represents management staff. The manager user is able to do everything a cashier can, as well as having access to their assigned store's reporting, and the ability to add/edit products if required.
- Admin: The admin user is intended for the store owner or the head office account. As an admin user, you will have full access to view and change all stores within the Retail POS account. If you'd like more than one person to have full permissions, multiple admin users can be created.
By default, retailers on Lite and Pro plans, and Lean, Standard, and Advanced plans, will only have access to the Cashier, Manager and Admin user roles.
Only retailers on an Enterprise plan can create additional custom user roles. For more information, refer to our Custom User Roles in Retail POS (X-Series) guide.
Setting user roles for users
When a user is created in Retail POS, a user role is assigned to the user. This is what dictates the level of access that the user has in Retail POS.
To select this when creating a new user, navigate to Setup > Users and click Add user. Enter the information required and under Role, select the user role from the Role drop-down.
To change the user role of an existing user, navigate to Setup > Users and locate the user you wish to change the role for. Click the user name and select the user role from the Role drop-down under Role.
Edit user role permissions
Permissions can be edited for the Cashier and Manager user roles to enable or disable certain capabilities within Retail POS. The Admin user role has fixed permissions and cannot be edit.
To edit the Cashier or Manager user role:
1. Navigate to Setup > Users
2. Click the Roles tab at the top of the user page.
3. On the roles page you will see the three available user roles. Click on Cashier or Manager to view the permissions enabled and disabled for that user role.
Having the Product Costs permission enabled allows your cashiers or managers to view and calculate the cost price of the products you sell and what kind of markups you might have.
You can tick this option if you'd like your cashiers or managers to view your product costs on the sell screen, in the product catalog, in reporting, and in stock control. This is turned off by default for cashiers and turned on by default for managers.
By default, cashiers and managers are allowed to print product labels. You can untick this option if you would like to prevent your cashiers or managers from printing labels.
Discounts are turned on by default for cashiers and managers, but you can use this field to disallow this if you wish.
Under the Sell section, you can customize the permissions for sale-related activities such as performing on-account and layby sales, processing returns and exchanges, manually issuing store credit, or editing and voiding sales.
All these options will be turned on by default for managers. However, the option to manually issue store credit and edit and void sales will be turned off by default for cashiers.
Under the Customers section are permissions for cashiers who, by default, only have permissions to add new customers in Retail POS. They are not allowed to remove a customer or add one to a customer group.
Managers, on the other hand, have full permissions for changing, editing, and removing customers. You can also customize whether you'd like your cashiers and managers to have the ability to export customer lists as a CSV in this section.
You can customize whether you'd like your cashiers and managers to be able to create, edit, and delete products. You can also enable them to create price books and perform inventory counts, stock orders, and returns.
By default, cashiers will have inventory counts, stock orders, and stock returns turned on. All product-related permissions will be on by default for your manager user.
Under Reporting, you can specify which sales your users have access to. You can choose between allowing your users to view reports on sales that the user has made, or reports on all sales made at outlets the user is assigned to.
All setup options are locked for cashiers and cannot be changed; managers are also locked out of most setup functions, however, they can add and edit other cashiers and managers as well as manage quick keys.
A tick (✔) or cross (X) next to a permission means that it is not customizable.
These provide a quick way to see what else these roles can and cannot do. An example of this is the Setup section for managers.