Tip: Different retail stores have different rules about what items can and cannot be returned. It is useful to check in with your supervisor about this before processing any returns.
Before beginning, it is important to note that you may only complete a return on fully paid sales (including fully paid account and layby sales) and not on open on account or layby sales OR existing return transactions.
To process a return
1. Ask the customer for their receipt (if required under policy) or for their name and date/time of the sale or other details needed to find the transaction.
2. Tap on the menu button on the top left and open Sales History.
3. Use the filter options to search by receipt number (or other details) if required.
4. Once the sale is located tap on it to expand the details.
5. Check the item being returned to ensure it matches the item sold.
Next, click on the Return Items button. Clicking this button will load the customer's sale onto the sell screen.
Note: All the items from this original sale will appear at the original sale amounts, including any discounts.
The item(s) in this sale should now be on the sell screen and shown as negative amounts.
If it is a multi-item sale, the customer may only wish to return one of the items. If this is the case, tap the trash can icon beside the item on any products the customer does not want to return.
Once you are happy with how the return looks, tap the red Refund button.
Does your customer wants to exchange their item for something else?: No problem! Add any products the customer wishes to exchange to the Sell Screen, then tap the green Exchange button. For more information on how to process an exchange, check out this article.
If your sale does not already have a customer attached, you will be asked to record the customer's details. This step is not compulsory, but it is a very good idea to record these if you can.
Once you have recorded your customer's details, the payment window will open.
If the customer has exchanged an item for one with a higher price tag, you will need to charge the customer extra. This amount will be listed underneath amount tendered. If they are returning an item or have exchanged for one with a lower price, then you will see the amount owed to the customer underneath amount tendered.
Choose Payment Type
After you have confirmed this with the customer, choose which payment type you wish to use to finish the return:
For cash, cheque, and non-integrated payments
Choose the cash, credit card, or cheque payment option.
Choosing your refund will close the sale. You will need to issue the customer their refund.
For Smartpay (New Zealand only)
To refund via Smartpay, click the Smartpay button. You will need to enter your Merchant PIN into the terminal. Then, swipe the customer's card. For more information on Smartpay, check out this article.
Integrated returns are now available for iZettle. Payments taken via iZettle can be refunded following the normal Vend refund/return process. To issue a refund using iZettle payments, select iZettle as the payment type when processing the return. For more information on iZettle, check out this article.
To return via PayPal, locate the PayPal sale and follow the standard return/exchange steps as outlined in this article. Once you arrive at the payment screen be sure to select the PayPal Here payment type to process the return successfully. For more information on how to do this click the article here.
To refund via Worldpay:
- Choose the Worldpay payment button.
- The payment terminal will prompt you to enter the manager password to authorise the refund
- Swipe the customer's card to process the refund.
- If the refund is over $25, the customer will need to sign their receipt.
Important: Before you can process refunds, you must enable refunds on your terminal.
To refund via Tyro:
- Tap the Tyro payment type.
- Enter the refund password (if you have not set one, this will be the Tyro admin password - call 1300 966 639 if you have lost this)
- Swipe/insert the customer's card
- The customer will need to select their account and enter their PIN.