Sometimes you may need to update the tags on multiple products, and while you can always go to each unique item in Vend and add the tags there, it can be helpful to do it all in one go.
The fastest way to do this is to use a CSV import.
Important: If you’ve not tackled using CSV’s before, be sure to click this link to learn how to create and edit products with a CSV.
1. Prepare your CSV Upload:
1. Navigate to Catalog -> Products and click Export List... to export a CSV of your products.
2. Save an extra copy of that CSV. Call it something like ‘Backup’, just in case anything goes wrong (it’ll be okay, but it is always good to have that backup!).
3. After you've saved and filed this backup, remove any non-mandatory columns (except for the tag column) from the CSV that you’ll be uploading. For information on which columns are mandatory, check out this article here.
Tip: If a product is not in the CSV, Vend will not touch it.
4. Next up, make sure that your CSV has the ID, SKU, Handle, Name, Retail_Price, Tax, and Tags columns.
5. Delete the inventory columns (Including their headers), as well as any others not listed in the last step.
2. Add Your Tags:
1. In the tag column, add all of the tags you’d like on the item.
2. Make sure you separate these tags with a semicolon and keep in mind that any tags you add to the CSV will overwrite any existing tags on the item.
For example, if you have a shirt that has the tags ‘red’ and ’t-shirt’, and you want to add a third tag, ‘cotton’, the CSV has to have ‘red’, ’t-shirt’, and ‘cotton’ in the tag column when it uploads.
When you are adding tags, there are a few points to keep in mind:
Remember to separate the tags with a semicolon, never a comma, as this would create a new column.
We recommend 5 or fewer tags per item.
Variant items get their tags from the parent variant. Variants can not have their own tags.
- If you are curious about how variants work, please check out this our guide to them here!
3. Once you are satisfied with the tags, save your file, navigate to Catalog -> Products and click the Import button to upload the CSV to Vend.
If you run into any problems, or have any additional questions, click here to get in touch with Vend support.
Be sure to attach the CSVs that you’ve been using so we can have a look at the work being done, and we’ll be able to get back to you with some help asap!