Store credit enables you to issue store credits to your customers as part of a return. These store credits are placed on your customers accounts and can be used by your customers to make purchases in the future.
Enabling store credit
To get started with store credits, you will need to enable it for your store. To do this follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to Setup > Store credit.
2. Click the toggle next to Enable store credit. This will turn on and enable the option to issue or redeem store credit in your store.
To use Retail POS store credit when integrated with Xero or QuickBooks Online, you must set up liability mapping before issuing store credit.
For more information on how to do this with Xero, refer to our Using Retail POS (X-Series) store credit with Xero guide.
For more information on how to do this in QuickBooks Online, refer to our Using Retail POS (X-Series) store credit with QuickBooks Online guide.
Setting user permissions
By default, only managers and admins can issue and redeem store credits. If you'd like to allow this feature for cashiers, navigate to Setup > Users and select Roles near the top of the page.
Select your cashier role from the list below.
From this page, you will be able to change various permissions for your cashier, including permissions around issuing and redeeming store credits.
If you allow store credit for cashiers, cashiers will also be able to apply discounts and process returns on normal sales.
Issuing store credit as part of a return
Now that you've enabled store credit, you can issue store credit to your customers as part of a return.
1. Navigate to Sell > Sales history and find the sale you wish to return.
2. Click the reverse arrow to open the return on the sell screen.
Make sure the customer is attached to the return. If you did not attach your customer to the original sale, you need to add them now so you can place the store credit against their customer account.
3. Remove any items your customer does not wish to return and click the Refund button
4. To issue this refund amount as store credit, click Store credit.
5. This completes the return and adds store credit, equal to the value of the returned item, to your customer's account.
6. You can also see that the receipt for this return includes the current store credit balance of the customer.
Sometimes you might need to issue a store credit that is not tied to a return, such as a courtesy or special promotion for valued customers.
To learn more about manual store credit, see this article.
To redeem a customer's store credit, create a sale for the items they wish to purchase, add their customer account to the sale and click Pay to proceed to the payment screen.
Once in the payment screen, you will see the amount owed as well as a range of payment options.
To pay off the entire sale using the customer's store credit, click Store credit.
If you only want to make a partial payment using store credit, change the amount tendered to the desired amount and then click Store credit.
You can then charge the customer for the outstanding amount using another payment method such as cash or credit.
This will complete the sale and deduct the used store credit from the customer's account. The customer will be able to see their updated store credit amount on the sale receipt.
To view the current store credit balance of a customer, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to the Sell screen and type the customer's name in the add a customer field.
2. Click on the customer's name to add the account to the sale.
3. Once added, click on the customer name to open the customer info.
4. Click on the Store credit tab which will show your customer including their current store credit balance and five most recent store credit transactions. You will also be able to see the User who issued a store credit to the customer at your store and any associated notes attached when issuing the store credit.
5. Once you are done reviewing your customer's info, click the trash can icon next to their name to clear it from the sell screen.
Disabling store credit
If you no longer want to use store credit in your store, you can turn the feature off at any time.
You will not be able to issue any new store credit or redeem any existing store credit once the feature is turned off.
All store credit balances against your customers will be retained when turning off store credit. If you choose to enable store credit again, your customers can continue to redeem their existing store credit.
To turn off store credit:
1. Navigate to Setup > Store credit.
2. Click the toggle next to Enable store credit. This will turn grey and remove the option to issue or redeem store credit in your store.