Important: Updating to iOS 14+ on iPad will prompt you to grant the Retail POS app permissions to access Bluetooth and Local Network settings on your iPad.
If declined, this will cause your printer to no longer function. To fix this, ensure your device's Bluetooth and Local Network Permissions are enabled in Settings > Lightspeed Retail POS (X).
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to install a Star mPOP combined Bluetooth Receipt Printer and Cash Drawer for the Retail POS app on iOS
To set up your mPOP device with your iPad, you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed.
As the mPOP is Bluetooth, it does not require any cables to connect it to your iPad. The only cable you will need for your printer is the power cable. If you are using the Star mPOP scanner with your mPOP unit, you'll need to plug this in via the USB cable provided.
The scanner that comes with your Star mPop unit will only work in iOS mode and on the Retail POS sell screen. You cannot use this scanner to manually add barcode numbers in other parts of the Retail POS app.
Make sure you have 58mm receipt rolls. To load your receipt roll, press the front left of the mPOP and pull the receipt loader out.
Connecting your mPOP device to an iPad
To begin, turn the mPOP on. You will find the power switch on the front left-hand side of the machine.
Once you've turned your mPOP on, you'll need to connect it to your iPad in Bluetooth settings.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPad.
2. Tap the Bluetooth option in the left-hand sidebar.
3. Ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
The Bluetooth slider should be green and switched to the right. If the slider is on the left and in gray, tap again to ensure Bluetooth is on.
4. Under the Bluetooth Devices > Star mPOP
A tick icon should appear next to the device confirming that it is successfully connected.
Add the mPOP device to the Retail POS app
Now that you've got your printer connected to your iPad you're ready to add it to the Retail POS app. To do this:
1. Open the Retail POS app and tap the Menu icon (☰).
2. Select Settings > Hardware.
3. Under Receipt printers, tap Add a printer.
4. A modal will appear to add your printer. Tap Follow steps to connect and add a printer > Next.
5. To get your printer ready and perform a hardware self-test, connect your printer to a power source leaving your printer off and load your receipt paper roll in your printer and close your printer’s lid shut.
6. Press and hold the FEED button and turn on your printer.
7. Once your hardware self-test receipt prints, tap Next.
8. Select your printer and tap Next.
9. Select your printer model and tap Next.
10. Under Connected printers, you will see your Star mPOP model listed—Tap Add printer.
11. Your iPad will ask you to select a Bluetooth accessory. Tap on your printer's name. There may be a delay before seeing your printer's name as compatible devices may appear.
12. Your printer is now connected to Retail POS. You can choose to rename your printer, perform a Test print, or tap Finish.
Important: If the cash drawer does not fire, ensure that it is enabled by navigating to Settings > Hardware and selecting your mPOP from the list of printers provided.