With our new version of customer sync, you are now able to edit customers on Vend that are linked to Xero. Editing a customer that is linked to Xero now functions in the same way as editing a standard Vend customer.
Before Getting Started
Before using Xero customer sync, there are a few important points worth noting:
1. If you are planning on linking your Xero customers to Vend it is important to treat Vend as the master. This means that any changes or edits made to these customers should be done from Vend, not from Xero.
2. Only customer fields that are updated in Vend will be synced across to Xero.
How do I link my Xero customers to Vend?
If you're an existing Xero customer, and you're new to Vend, you'll probably want to import your contacts from Xero. Vend allows you to import existing customers or suppliers into your Vend account using the 'Import from Xero' Option.
Important: If you've already added the same customers or suppliers directly into your Vend account, importing contacts from Xero will create duplicate records. We do not recommend importing in this instance.
- In Vend, open the 'Customers' page.
- Click the 'Import Customers' button, and choose the 'Import from Xero' option.
- Any contact in Xero with either a 'customer' designation, or a 'general contact' designation will now be imported. This may take some time if you have a lot of customers in Xero.
Your customers will now be linked to Xero. If you are maintaining your customers on Vend it is important to ensure that Vend is the master. This means that any changes or edits made to customers should be done from Vend , not from Xero. When you apply any changes to a customer in Vend these changes will be pushed across to Xero.
Important: If you have linked your customers between Vend and Xero and you edit one of these customers on Xero's end, the changes will not apply in Vend. Next time the customer is edited in Vend, or used in an on-account sale, these changes will be overwritten.
Why is there a cloud icon against a customer on your customer list?
This is because changes have been made to this customer in Vend that have not yet been pushed to Xero. To push these updates to Xero, click on the customer to expand their profile and click the Sync to Xero. The icon will transition to the pencil icon to indicate that these changes have been synced to Xero.
How do I edit my Xero Customers?
To edit a customer, navigate to the customer tab in the sidebar.
Here you can search for the customer you'd like to edit or select one from the list below.
Once you have selected the customer, use the 'Edit Customer' button to bring up the edit screen.
If this customer is linked to Xero, these changes will be updated on Xero's end after clicking 'Save Customer' and click on 'View on Xero' to view the changes.
Tip: You can check that these changes have carried across to Xero by clicking on the 'View on Xero' button.