Star 650II BTI (Bluetooth) Printer Setup for iPad
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to install a Star 650II BTI for iPad
In order to set up your receipt printer with your iPad you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed.
As the 650II BTI a Bluetooth device and it does not require any cables to connect it to your iPad. The only cable you will need for your printer is the power cable.
Make sure you've got your 80mm receipt rolls ready to go. To load your receipt roll open the latch on the top right of the printer, place the roll inside and pull some of the paper through before closing the lid.
Cash Drawer (Optional):
You may also wish to set up your cash drawer at the same time, to do this you'll need a specialised cash drawer cable. This looks similar to a phone line cable.
You'll first need to connect the printer to your iPad in Bluetooth settings. To do this:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPad.
2. Tap the Bluetooth option under General Settings.
3. Ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
Checkpoint 1: The Bluetooth slider should be green and switched to the right. If the slider is to the left and in gray, tap again to ensure Bluetooth is ‘on’.
4. On the back of the printer, press and hold the PAIR button for 5 seconds or more.
5. In the Bluetooth 'Device list' on the iPad tap 'Star Micronics'
6. Type in the device PIN: 1234 if required.
Under 'My Devices', the printer should show a status of 'connected', confirming that the device is successfully connected.
Now that you've got your printer connected up to your iPad you're ready to add it to the Vend app. To do this:
1. Open the Vend Register app and Tap the menu icon. The sidebar will open.
2. Select Settings > Hardware > Add Printer, then tap Add a Printer to set up the printer:
3. Tap the Printer Model section and select Star 650II BTI.
Checkpoint 2: You do not need to put any information into the "Bluetooth Address" field. If you get a printer not found error, check and make sure that the "Bluetooth Address" field is empty. If there is something inside this field, remove it and save the printer.
4. Select a name for your printer. This can be anything you choose such as “Cashier 1” or “Receipt Printer”. Include your selection in the “name” field.
5. Select one of the following receipt options:
- a standard receipt - this is a typical end-of-sale receipt.
- a secondary receipt - this is a receipt that only prints certain items.
6. Choose whether you'd like your receipts to be printed automatically. If you don't automatically print a receipt, you won't be able to manually print one during the sale.
7. Choose the number of receipt copies you’d like to print for each sale
8. Tep Save to add your printer.
Checkpoint 3: Run a test sale to ensure your setup is successful. If your receipt fails to print, go back to checkpoints 1&2. Remember to void the test sale after your receipt is printed!
Once you've got the printer all set up, you can connect up the cash drawer.
The cash drawer connects to your receipt printer, and is triggered to open when you finish a cash or cheque sale and the receipt is printed by the printer. A manager or admin can also manually open the cash drawer directly within Vend.
To setup the Cash Drawer, follow the instructions below:
1. Plug the RJ12 connector cable from the cash drawer into the receipt printer.
2. Open up the Vend Register app and tap the menu button to open the sidebar menu.
3. Tap Settings and choose Hardware.
4. Select the printer you want to attach the cash drawer to.
5. On the printer settings page in Register, toggle the 'Cash drawer enabled' setting to 'on'.
6. Toggle the Open cash drawer on sale setting to on.