Important: Updating to iOS 14+ on iPad will prompt you to grant the Retail POS app permissions to access Bluetooth and Local Network settings on your iPad.
If declined, this will cause your printer to no longer function. To fix this, ensure your device's Bluetooth and Local Network Permissions are enabled in Settings > Lightspeed Retail POS (X).
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to install a Star 650II BTI for your Mac or iPad device.
In order to set up your receipt printer with your Mac or iPad you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed.
As the 650II BTI is a Bluetooth device, it does not require any cables to connect it to your Mac or iPad. The only cable you will need for your printer is the power cable.
Make sure you have 80mm receipt rolls. To load your receipt roll open the latch on the top right of the printer, place the roll inside, and pull some of the paper through before closing the lid.
Cash drawer (optional):
You may also wish to set up your cash drawer at the same time, to do this you'll need a specialized cash drawer cable. This looks similar to a phone line cable.
Connecting the Star 650II BTI Receipt Printer to a Mac
Before continuing with the setup of your printer, you must ensure that the printer is fully operational. You can perform a self-test in order to check the functionality of the printer:
- Turn the printer off.
- Hold the feed button down and turn the power back on at the same time.
- Release the feed button. This will print 2 receipts. Hang on to the second receipt or make a note of the IP Address.
Downloading and Installing the Star driver
1. Go to the Start Micronics website
2. Click the CUPS Driver for macOS
3. When this download is completed, double click the .zip file to extract it
4. This will create a new folder of the same name. Open this and go to Driver
5. Double click the .pkg file here and follow the install guide instructions.
Pairing the printer to your Mac
1. Open System Preferences on your Mac and click the Bluetooth option
2. Ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
3. On the back of the printer, press and hold the PAIR button for 5 seconds or more.
5. In the Bluetooth Devices, click connect next to Star Micronics 650II BTI
Adding the printer to your CUPs settings
1. Open up Google Chrome and go to http://localhost:631/admin
2. Click Add Printer
3. Select the LPD/LPR Host or Printer, then click Continue:
4. Specify the device URI for the printer as shown below and click Continue
Starbluetooth://<<Bluetooth Address>> For example: Starbluetooth://00-12-f3-1c-2f-a4
5. In the add printer screen, enter the printer name, location and description.
6. Click Continue
7. Select Star as the make and click Continue
8. Select the printer model Start 650ii cutter and click Continue
9. In the set printer options screen, select “Policies” and set “error policy” to “retry current job” and click set default options.
Connecting the Star 650II BTI Receipt Printer to an iPad
You'll need to connect the printer to your iPad in Bluetooth settings. To do this:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPad.
2. Tap the Bluetooth option under General Settings.
3. Ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
4. On the back of the printer, press and hold the PAIR button for 5 seconds or more.
5. In the Bluetooth Devices list on the iPad tap Star Micronics
6. Type in the device PIN: 1234 if prompted
Under Devices, the printer should show a status of connected, confirming that the device is successfully connected.
Now that you've got your printer connected to your iPad you're ready to add it to the Retail POS app. To do this:
1. Open the Retail POS app and tap the Menu icon (☰)
2. Select Settings > Hardware.
3. Under Receipt printers, tap Add a printer.
4. A modal will appear to add your printer. Tap Follow steps to connect and add a printer > Next.
5. To get your printer ready and perform a hardware self-test, connect your printer to a power source leaving your printer off and load your receipt paper roll in your printer and close your printer’s lid shut.
6. Press and hold the FEED button and turn on your printer.
7. Once your hardware self-test receipt prints, tap Next.
8. Select your printer and tap Next.
9. Select your printer model and tap Next.
10. Under Connected printers, you will see your Star 650II BTI model listed—Tap Add printer.
11. Your iPad will ask you to select a Bluetooth accessory. Tap on your printer's name. There may be a delay before seeing your printer's name as compatible devices may appear.
12. Your printer is now connected to Retail POS. You can choose to rename your printer, perform a Test print, or tap Finish.
Set up your cash drawer
Once you've got the printer all set up, you can connect up the cash drawer.
The cash drawer connects to your receipt printer and is triggered to open when you finish a cash or cheque sale and the receipt is printed by the printer.
To set up the cash drawer, open up the Retail POS app and follow the instructions below:
1. Tap the Menu icon (☰) to open the sidebar
2. Tap Settings and choose Hardware
3. Select the printer you want to attach the cash drawer to
4. Plug the RJ12 connector cable from the cash drawer into the receipt printer.
5. On the printer settings page, toggle the Cash drawer enabled setting to On
6. Toggle the Open cash on sale setting to On