PC Hardware Bundle
efore you get started you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed for setting up your hardware on your PC.
- Honeywell USB Scanner
- Star TSP 100 LAN Receipt Printer
- Star Drawer SMD2-1214
- A power cable for the printer
- An ethernet cable to plug the printer in to your internet router
- A specialised cash drawer cable. This is similar looking to an ethernet cable but is smaller on one end.
Note: These cables should come included with your receipt printer and cash drawer.
Make sure you've got your receipt rolls for your printer ready to go. To load your receipt roll open the latch on the top right of the printer, place the roll inside and pull some of the paper through before closing the lid.
Once you've taken stock of these peripherals follow the guide below to get everything setup.
First things first, you'll want to set up your Honeywell USB scanner. This is super easy and should work straight out of the box.
Simply plug in the USB into the computer and the scanner will install automatically.
To test that it's all ready to go, open up a notepad or word processing application and scan in a barcode. You should see the barcode number appear here.
If this hasn't scanned wait a minute and try it again. If it still hasn't scanned after waiting, unplug the scanner and try and plug it in to a different USB port in your computer.
Before getting started, it's a good idea to test out the printer. We'll also need the test receipts for setting up the printer.
To perform a hardware self test on your printer:
- Turn it OFF
- Hold the feed button down and turn the power back ON at the same time
- Release the feed button. This will print out two test receipts.
At the bottom of the second page, it will show 'Current IP Parameters Status'.
Hang on to this page or make a note of the IP Address.
Note: Your IP address will be different to the one listed in the picture above.
1. Downloading and installing the Star driver:
First off, we need to download the latest printer drivers for your computer. This is specialised software that helps the printer run correctly on your computer. To get this head over to Star's website here and fill out the details below:
Product Type: Thermal
Printer Family: TSP100
Printer Model: TSP100LAN
Operating System: Windows
Next select Drivers and pick 'futurePRNT V6.0 Lite' under Recommended to download the driver.
2. When this download is completed, head to your downloads folder, right click on the file and select extract all.
Checkpoint: Not sure where to find the download? Go to explorer and select 'Downloads' from he left hand list. The download will also appear at the bottom of Google Chrome, click the arrow here and select show in folder.
3. After extracting the file, a folder will open. Double click on 'Autorun' and follow the installiation guide instructions.
2. Installing your Star Printer:
Now that this is complete we'll need to install the printer on your PC. To do this:
Navigate to Program Files (x86) > Starmicronics > Star TSP100 - dated folder (e.g 20150320) and select EthernetSetting.
This is buried quite far down so you may want to search for this instead. To search in Windows 8 hover your mouse over the top right hand corner of the screen until the magnifying glass appears in the sidebar. Clicking this will take you through to a search window where you can type 'EthernetSetting'.
Using Windows 7? To search in Windows 7, navigate to the bottom left corner of the screen and click on the 'Windows start' icon. A menu will appear and you should see the search bar at the bottom.
You should see this icon appear.
Clicking this will open up the Ethernet Setup page, where you can install the printer.
First select 'Search LAN for TSP100LAN'.
Once your printer appears in the list below, confirm that the IP Address matches the IP Address on the printer config page you printed earlier.
Click 'Add printer queue'
Checkpoint: At this point you may receive a warning message like the one below:
If you receive this message it means your IP address is not fixed and may change in the future. This could cause your printer to disconnect so we recommend you contact your local IT specialist to get a Static IP setup. In the meantime, go ahead click 'Yes' so you can start using your printer right away.
Next you will see a new box where you can specify the queue and port names of your printer. Leave the port name unchanged and add a new queue name if you'd like your printer to be called something else.
Once you're happy with these settings, tick perform test printing and click 'Complete'.
Your printer should now be all set up and ready to go!
3. Printing on Vend with Star:
Now that your Star is installed you can start using it to print your receipts in Vend.
To perform a test print:
1. Head over to the History tab and click on a sale.
2. Click view receipt
3. Pick the receipt template you’d like to use and click 'print'.
This will take you to the print preview screen. If the Star is not your default printer, click 'change' and select the printer from the list.
You will also want to untick headers and footers and set the paper size to 72mm - 2000mm or 72mm - receipt.
Note: If you set your paper size to 72mm - 2000mm or 72mm - receipt without disabling headers and footers, the printer will not auto cut at the main receipt
Once that's been changed you should be able to print out a receipt.
Once you've got the printer all set up, you can connect up the cash drawer.
The cash drawer connects to your receipt printer, and is triggered to open when you finish a cash or cheque sale and the receipt is printed by the printer.
Tip: You can manually open the cash drawer by clicking CTRL + E if you are using the old Vend Sell Screen or by performing a test sale if you are using Register for PC.
To setup the Cash Drawer:
1. Plug the RJ12 connector cable (the one that looks similar to a phone line) from the cash drawer into the receipt printer.
2. Next, head to your 'devices and printers' window on your computer.
3. Right click on your receipt printer, select printer properties -> device settings.
4. Once in here change the Peripheral Unit Type to 'Cash Drawer' and set the Unit 1 and 2 options to 'Document Bottom'.
Tip: If you want your cash drawer to fire before the receipt prints you can set the Unit 1 and 2 options to 'Document Top'.
5. Save these settings and test it out by clicking CTRL + E on your keyboard when in the old Vend Sell Screen or by performing a test sale if you are using Register for PC.
You should now be setup with your Scanner, Printer and Cash Drawer!
You can also check out the idividual articles for your devices below: