The Retail POS app has been specially designed to be quick and easy for retailers to use on iPad. This guide will walk you through the process of setting up the Retail POS app.
To learn how to use Retail POS (X-Series) on iPad, refer to this article.
Minimum system requirements
For the best Retail POS app experience, you'll need an iPad model is at least:
• Released from 2014 onwards
• Capable of running iOS 14+
These minimum requirements are in place because older iPads and older versions of iOS may be too slow or are missing some of the features required for the Retail POS app.
Before you start setting up and using the Retail POS app, you will need to set up your Retail POS store including account configuration and adding your product catalog.
We strongly recommend doing this using a Mac or PC for the best experience. Refer to our Retail POS (X-Series) Setup Checklist to complete the steps required.
Only administrators and managers can set up the Retail POS app. If you are a cashier, please speak to your manager or administrator.
1. Open the Retail POS app on your iPad
2. Enter your Retail POS Store address (URL) and tap Next
3. Enter your Username and Password
4. Select the Register you would like to use
Set up quick keys
Quick keys are managed using templates.
You can create multiple templates, giving you the flexibility to optimize layouts for different stores, as well as for different occasions such as big sale times.
To create, edit and assign Quick Key templates, refer to the steps in our Setting up Quick Keys for Retail POS (X-Series) on iPad guide.
Quick Key templates sync between the web application and the Retail POS app. You can create these on desktop, or using the guide above.
Set up barcode scanners
There are two methods for barcode scanning in Retail POS app:
- Socket Bluetooth Barcode S700/S740 Scanner
- Using the iPad camera for barcode scanning: Tap the product search bar and then tap the camera icon in the top right hand of the keyboard. Position the iPad camera over the barcode to scan and Retail POS will add the product to the Sell Screen.
Set up receipt printing
The Retail POS app enables you to set up multiple printers for each store and to print from multiple iPads to these printers. You can also set up split printing, where an additional receipt prints for certain items. This may be useful for printing a barista slip, for example.
Set up your printer hardware
Star TSP 100 (143) LAN
Star TSP100III (Wireless)
Star TSP100III (USB)
Star TSP100III (Bluetooth)
Star 650II BTI (Bluetooth)
Star mC Print
Star SM-S230i (Bluetooth)
Star mPOP (Bluetooth)
Epson TM-T82II (Ethernet)
Epson TM-m30 (Ethernet)
Epson TM-m30 (Bluetooth)
Set up your receipt preferences
A standard receipt is the typical end-of-sale receipt. This will be the default receipt template assigned to the register currently in use on Retail POS app.
Refer to our Setting up your Receipt Templates guide to learn how.
Secondary receipts can be used to set up kitchen or barista printing — where you may only want to print some transactions, and even specific products within specific transactions, to each of their printers.
To set up and use secondary receipts, refer to our Setting up secondary receipts for Retail POS (X-Series) on iPad guide.
A customer with an email attached must be added to a sale to email receipts. If you do not add a customer, the option will appear at the end of the sale.
Set up a cash drawer
If you're using the Retail POS app with a non-handheld printer, you can set up a cash drawer.
Retail POS app supports any cash drawer that can connect to your receipt printer using an RJ12 cable.
The cash drawer connects to your receipt printer and is triggered to open when you finish a cash or cheque sale, and the receipt is printed by the printer.
You can configure one cash drawer per receipt printer.
1. Tap the Menu button to open the sidebar menu
2. Tap Settings and select Hardware
3. Select the printer you want to attach the cash drawer to
4. Plug the RJ12 connector cable from the cash drawer into the receipt printer
5. On the printer settings page in the Retail POS app, toggle the Enable cash drawer setting to On
6. Toggle the Open after cash sale setting to On
Repeat this for each cash drawer attached to each printer.
You must have at least ONE receipt printer with a cash drawer enabled to be able to open the cash drawer in the app.
Set up payments
All the payment types you've set up in your store are available on the Retail POS app. However, only some integrated payment methods are available. These are:
- Smartpay (NZ and Australia)
- Zettle (UK, Some European and South American countries)
- Worldpay triPOS (USA)
- Worldpay (Dejavoo) Integrated Payments (US)
- Moneris Payments (Canada)
- Tyro Payments (Australia)
- PayPal Here (US, UK, and Australia)
- Square (US, UK and Australia)
- Chase (Canada)
- Payment Express (UK, Europe, NZ and Australia)
- Paymentsense (UK and Europe)
- Sum Up (UK and Europe)
- Verifone (NZ)
- Yoco (South Africa)
For more information about Retail POS integrated payment types, refer to our Integrated Payments Setup guide.
For added security, you can turn on Apple's Guided Access feature on your iPad. This restricts access so that your staff can't access or download other apps on your iPad.
Ensure your shift manager has access to the Guided Access PIN number in case any hardware like barcode scanners need to be re-paired with the Retail POS app.
To turn on Guided Access, check out Apple's instructions here.