This integration requires a QuickBooks Online Plus or Advanced subscription
How does it work?
The QuickBooks Online integration enables Vend customers to easily post their end of day sales, payment counts, purchase orders, gift cards, store credit and cost of goods sold to their QuickBooks Online account. This makes it quick and easy for retailers to keep on top of their accounting and reduces the need for double-data-entry.
Once you've turned the integration on, when you close your register at the end of the day, your sales totals and payment counts, including any payment discrepancies, will be sent to your QuickBooks Online account.
On account sales will be sent to QuickBooks Online, as well as any payments that are applied to those sales in Vend.
If you use Vend gift cards or store credit, your liability totals for these features will post to QuickBooks Online.
Your payment totals can either be sent as a total amount, or you can choose to break them down by product/inventory type, using the classification types you've set up in Vend.
You can also choose to send a cost of goods sold (COGS) summary to your QuickBooks Online account. This uses a weighted average calculation method, so make sure you check with your accountant to see if it's appropriate for your business.
Purchase orders can also be sent to QuickBooks Online if you choose to do so.
This allows you to easily reconcile your payment deposits into your bank account.
What do I need to know before I begin?
Vend only integrates with QuickBooks Online accounts.
Payments that are applied to on account sales in Vend will sync to Quickbooks Online, but payments that are applied to on account sales in QuickBooks Online will not sync back to Vend. These payments will have to be accounted for manually in Vend.
If you are located in the US, the QuickBooks Online integration should only be used if all products in each outlet have the same tax rate. This is because QuickBooks Online US only allows for a single tax rate per transaction.
For example, if you have most items in a store using a combined 15% tax rate, but some using only a 5% tax rate, you should not use the integration.
This does not affect retailers who use a different tax rate in different outlets - for example, 10% on products in Outlet A, and 5% on products in Outlet B provided all products WITHIN that outlet have the same tax rate.
This also does not affect retailers who have all products in an outlet using a tax rate, but some products zero-rated (0% tax).
Do not use the integration if you have applied custom tax rates to a product within an outlet, such as a luxury tax on some items, or a cheaper tax rate for fresh fruit or vegetables.
Vend's QuickBooks integration allows you to:
- Post register closures to QuickBooks. So, we'll track your sales totals and your payment totals.
- Map discount totals to a dedicated discount item in QuickBooks Online
- Sales totals can either be a total amount or broken down by product types
- Send Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) each day to QuickBooks Online
- Send Purchase Orders to QuickBooks Online
- Send store credit totals to QuickBooks Online
- Send gift card totals to QuickBooks Online
- Send on account sales to QuickBooks Online.
There are some things you won't be able to post to QuickBooks automatically Online. These include:
- Layby sales
How do I set it up?
Before you begin setting up, make sure you have:
- Set up all your tax rates in Vend.
- Set up all your tax rates in QuickBooks Online.
- Set up a payment discrepancies product in QuickBooks Online. This allows you to track the differences between the amount expected when you close your register and the amount you count.
- Set up an inventory assets account in QuickBooks Online. This is where your purchase orders will be sent.
- If you'd like your sales totals broken down by product type, make sure your products have product types set in Vend.
- If you'd like discounts to be mapped to a different item, create a Discounts item in QuickBooks Online
- Set up a corresponding product or service items in QuickBooks Online for each product type you have in Vend.
- Setup a store credit/gift card liability expense and liability account in QuickBooks Online.
When selecting where to send Sales and Count Discrepancies, you will only be able to select your QuickBooks Online products and services. You will not be able to select all of your accounts. QuickBooks online has a default sales product set up.
For more information on QuickBooks Online products and services, or to create a new product in QuickBooks Online, click here. You should complete this before turning on the integration.
You are now ready to start setting up.
- Navigate to Setup -> Apps
- Click Add to Vend next to QuickBooks Online. If you're not already logged in, you will be prompted to log in.
- Click Authorize to confirm you'd like to link your QuickBooks Online account to your Vend account. You will be taken to the QuickBooks Online settings page in Vend.
- Select the QuickBooks Online product you'd like to send your daily sales totals to. If you choose to break down your daily sales by product type, this account will only receive sales for products with no type mapping.
- Select the QuickBooks Online account you'd like to send any discrepancies in your end of day count to.
- Select the QuickBooks Online account you'd like to send any rounding differences to. Vend will include a rounding line to ensure that the total of the register closure invoice matches the total of the payments taken.
The total payments ALWAYS match what was taken in Vend however due to small differences in how QuickBooks and Vend calculate sale totals the invoice can differ. In the cases where these totals differ, a rounding line will be used.
- If you'd like discounts to be mapped to a different item in QuickBooks Online, select it from the drop-down otherwise leave it blank
- If you want to use product type reporting, tick the checkbox, then match each product type with a corresponding product or service in QuickBooks Online.
- You can choose to send expense information to QuickBooks Online. Leave these blank if you don't want to record COGS information in QuickBooks Online. You'll need to select both a Cost of Goods Sold and Inventory asset account - remember, if you're not sure which to pick, check with your accountant. Your purchase orders will be sent to the account you select for Inventory assets.
- If you are using Store Credit, select a store credit expense and liability account from the drop-down options in the Liabilities section.
- If you are using Gift Cards, select a gift card revenue and liability account from the drop-down options in the Liabilities section.
For each payment type, pick the matching payment type in QuickBooks Online.
- Hint: If you use a single credit card payment type in Vend, set up a new payment type in QuickBooks called 'Credit Card.'
For each tax type, pick the matching tax type in QuickBooks Online. Grouped taxes in Vend must be mapped to a grouped tax in QuickBooks Online.
Click Save to turn on the integration.
The integration is now set up!
If you add any more payment types, tax rates, or product types, don't forget to update your QuickBooks Online settings with this information.