Retail POS Loyalty is a system where your customers earn loyalty dollars to spend in your store with every purchase they make.
Loyalty in Retail POS is designed to be as simple as possible for you and your customers. The aim of a loyalty program is to increase customer retention and also to provide you with valuable information about your customer base.
Use the drop-downs below to better understand how loyalty works in Retail POS, how to set it up, and how to use loyalty in your store.
Once loyalty is enabled in your Retail POS account, all products in your catalog will be allocated a loyalty amount. This amount is based on the ratio you select during set up
You can then choose to customize loyalty amounts on individual products, setting these products to earn no loyalty or extra loyalty if desired.
These loyalty amounts will be earned on all sales to eligible customers made in the store. Your customers can then redeem their loyalty on any products in your store, as if it were cash.
Your existing customers will already be signed up, and it's easy to add new customers, or they can add themselves.
Each time a customer makes a purchase, their receipt will include their loyalty earned from that purchase, and the total balance available to spend on their account. Customers will only earn the loyalty for a particular sale when the sale has been paid in full.
If a customer pays for part of their purchase with loyalty, they will only earn loyalty on the portion paid with a payment type other than loyalty.
For example, if 20% of the sale is paid using loyalty, customers would earn loyalty on the remaining 80% of the sale.
Important things to know
- All sales earn loyalty at the time the sale is closed (i.e. fully paid). This includes on account and layby Sales.
- Merchants using online store integrations, such as Shopify, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, or eCom (E-Series), and receive more than a small volume of sales through their online store, should not enable loyalty.
- Merchants using the Timely integration cannot use loyalty.
- If you are using Xero, you will need to set it up to track your loyalty given and loyalty redeemed correctly. To learn more on this, click here.
- If you are using QuickBooks Online, loyalty will sync to QuickBooks Online as a payment type. Loyalty liability will not be tracked in QuickBooks Online.
- The only way to import balances from another loyalty system is to complete this manually, see the Migrate from another loyalty program section within the Setting up loyalty drop-down
- In order to redeem loyalty, please ensure you have a stable internet connection for the sale to be processed
Loyalty and discounts
There are two types of loyalty used with products in Retail POS:
- Custom loyalty amounts, where you set a fixed loyalty amount for a product
- Regular loyalty amounts, where the loyalty value is determined by the earning ratio you set in your store
When you discount a product in a sale, products that have a custom loyalty amount will still earn the same loyalty amount as the full-priced product.
Products with regular, ratio-based loyalty, will have the loyalty amount earned adjusted based on the new price.
Important: Using the discount button (either for a percentage or dollar amount discount) will not change the loyalty earned in the sale for any products.
1. In Retail POS, navigate to Setup > Loyalty.
2. Click the Enable loyalty checkbox to turn loyalty on
3. Enter the value a customer needs to spend to earn 1 loyalty dollar.
The remaining settings refer to your customer sign-up process.
All new customers will have a message on their receipt inviting them to register their details for your loyalty program.
Each message will have a custom-URL, valid for seven days. This will take the customer to a signup portal for your store, where they can fill in their details.
In some instances, existing customers will also see this message. This includes:
- Existing customers you do not have an email address for
- Existing customers, you do have an email address for if you do not have email notifications turned on.
To encourage customers to fill in their details, you can choose to offer a joining bonus for filling in the form. This can only be claimed once per customer.
To turn on the joining bonus:
- Select the Bonus loyalty checkbox
- Enter the value you would like to reward the customer with for joining
You can also choose to send your customers a welcome email. The welcome email invites the customer to join your loyalty program and provides them with a link to your online portal. If you have chosen to provide a loyalty joining bonus, these customers will also receive this.
This will be sent to:
- Existing customers whose email address you already have, when they make their first purchase after you enable loyalty.
- New customers added, if you also add their email address and opt them into loyalty.
To turn on welcome emails:
1. Select the Send welcome email check box.
2. Personalize the email content in the Email subject and Email message fields. You can preview your changes by clicking the Preview welcome email link.
Once complete, click Save.
Once you've turned your loyalty program on, you might want to customize the loyalty amounts earned on some products. You could set them to zero loyalty, or set them to a fixed amount.
Products that have custom loyalty amounts do not have the loyalty amount adjusted when you change the price of the product sold (for example, discounts).
Products you might like to customize include:
- Shipping charges
- Gift Vouchers
- Credit Notes
- Any other admin products
To customize a product's loyalty amount, navigate to Catalog > Products and identify the product you wish to customize.
Click the product to expand and click Edit.
In the Price & Loyalty section, select Earn custom loyalty and enter the loyalty dollar value you wish the product to earn when sold.
When complete, click Save.
There are some people in your customer list that you may wish to disable loyalty for. This may include:
- Staff members
- Wholesale rate customers
- Customers who do not wish to participate
Loyalty can be turned off one-by-one, or in bulk, using a CSV import.
To disable loyalty of an individual customer:
- Navigate to Customers > Customers, and find the customer in your customer list.
- Click the customer to expand
- Click Edit customer
- Select the Details tab
- Click the Enable loyalty for this customer toggle. This will display an X when disabled and a checkmark when enabled.
- Click Save changes.
Loyalty with price books and promotions
With loyalty, you can control how loyalty applies to products that use price book pricing. For example, if you have special prices for wholesalers or staff, you can set the loyalty amount on products in those price books to zero.
Our Running Sales using Price Books price guide explains how to set up your price books with loyalty.
- Remove loyalty from staff sales: Staff will often receive discounted rates. In your staff price book, apply the discount, but also set the loyalty to zero, so your staff don't get double benefits
- Remove loyalty from wholesale rates: Offering wholesale rates is great for business but less so if you're giving them loyalty too. In your wholesale price book, set loyalty amounts to zero.
Using conditional promotions, you can offer special loyalty-based promotions, like bonus loyalty amounts, rather than discounted products.
- Buy and earn loyalty: set specific products that when purchased in a set quantity, earn the customer extra loyalty.
- Spend and earn loyalty: when the customer spends a set amount, they will earn extra loyalty
For more information on promotions and loyalty, refer to our Conditional Promotions in Retail POS (X-Series) guide.
It's easy to move your existing loyalty program to Retail POS. Our Retail Support team can import existing loyalty balances into Retail POS for you, so you can continue right where you left off.
All you need to do is provide us with a list of your customers from Retail POS and their current loyalty balances.
The only thing to consider is that Retail POS uses a currency-based loyalty program, so if your existing program uses points or free items, you'll need to convert any existing balances into your currency and set the new earn rates accordingly.
To get help with importing your loyalty balance contact Retail Support here.
If you have integrated an accounting system with Retail POS, it's important to understand how it will work with Loyalty.
QuickBooks Online: This integration does not track loyalty values
If you don't have an accounting integration, it's a good idea to speak to your accountant about how you manage and track loyalty rewards with them.
Once your loyalty program is set up, there are a few tricks to making it run smoothly.
There are several ways to add a new customer to loyalty.
During a sale
- Enter the customer's name into the Add a customer field and click Add "X" as a new customer.
- Enter the customer's details on the Contact tab.
- Click the Details tab and enter the additional details as desired.
- Click the Enable loyalty for this customer toggle to enable loyalty — this should be enabled by default. This will display an X when disabled and a checkmark when enabled.
If you have the welcome email setting enabled, the customer will receive the welcome email (if an email address has been provided).
The customer can add themself
All receipts for new customers will have a custom link at the bottom. The customer has seven days to follow the link to sign up. You can advise the customer of this when handing them the receipt.
Sometimes, you might need to adjust a loyalty balance. For example, you might have given a customer the wrong amount of loyalty. You can create achieve this using a CSV export.
For further information on adjusting customer loyalty balances, refer to our How to adjust a customer loyalty balance guide.
When a customer wants to pay for a sale with their loyalty balance, it's simple and easy for your staff.
Just add the items to the sale, add the customer to the sale, and click Pay.
Customers can pay:
- All of the sale with loyalty
- Part of sale with loyalty
To pay the entire sale with loyalty, simply choose the loyalty payment type. This will be greyed out if the customer does not have enough loyalty to pay for the entire sale.
To pay part of a sale with loyalty, type the amount to be paid by loyalty into the total field. This must be equal to, or less than, the total loyalty the customer has. If it is, the loyalty payment button will now be available. Click the loyalty payment button. Then, pay the remainder of the sale off using another payment type.
Loyalty on voided a sale
When you void a sale in sales history, any associated loyalty earned from the sale will be removed from the customer's loyalty balance.
Loyalty on a return
When you return a product, the loyalty amount associated with that item or sale will be removed from the customer's loyalty balance.