How do register closures work?
At the end of each business day, you should close your register(s) in your store. With the Vend-Xero integration, your sales totals and payment counts will be posted to Xero automatically.
How does it work?
Closing the register in Vend:
- Click the close register button on the sell screen.
- The Closing Totals page will appear, with a summary of sales for the day, and a total for each payment type.
- Verify the closing totals are correct by counting the cash in your cash drawer and closing your card processing machine and click close register.
Viewing and reconciling the closure in Xero:
- The register closure will now be sent to Xero. An Accounts Receivable invoice will be created for the register closure. Each payment total will be applied to the invoice as a payment.
- Any payments made on account sales will not be included in the register closure payment totals, as they have already been posted to the account sale's invoice.
- When your payment amounts are deposited into your bank account and appear in the bank feed, you'll be able to match them against the payment totals.
What about lay-by/layaway sales?
To keep your register closures balanced, layaway sales are reported in parts each time you make a payment.
This means that the sale total may be spread across multiple register closure periods. Read more about this here.
What happens if I've made on account sales that day?
On account, sales are created as a separate invoice so that they won't be included in your sales totals for the day; otherwise, they would be counted twice. The same applies for payments. You'll see a line on the invoice created by the register closure debiting the payments taken that day so that the closure total is balanced. Read more about account sales here.