CSV is short for ‘Comma Separated Value’. It’s the way we format information we take out of Vend’s database so it can be read and edited in normal spreadsheet software. You can then add information back into our database in one big lot.
CSV files make it heaps faster to add or edit large amounts of data in Vend.
Where in Vend are they used?
CSV files are used to add or change information in lots of places in Vend:
- Stock Management
- Add inventory when I open my store
- Adding products to a stock transfer
What do I need to know before I get started?
Sounds awesome, right? That’s because they are. At first, they can be a bit overwhelming, but once you get used to them, they’ll make your product and customer management faster and easier.
However, it’s important to be careful when using CSV files as if you make a mistake, you could accidentally overwrite your store’s data.
There are some important things you should remember when working with CSV files:
- Always make a backup. Keep a copy of any CSV file you export from Vend before you make any changes.
- The spreadsheet software ‘Excel’ shortens long numbers automatically. This is called truncation. We recommend you use an alternate program, such as Open Office, Google Docs, or Numbers. If you would like to use Excel, you should always open CSV files following this process.
- It doesn’t matter what order your columns are in as long as you have the correct titles and the mandatory fields for the CSV you’re working with.