How do individual product taxes work?
Some products have different tax codes, for example, fresh fruit and vegetables in some countries do not attract GST. This can be easily managed within Vend.
- Set up all required tax codes in Vend
- Choose the appropriate tax per product
In the general setup page, you are asked to choose your default tax setting. This will apply to each product created unless you select a different rate on the product page.
Product variants must all have the same tax rate. If you change the individual tax rate on the product's main page (the parent product), all of the other variants will also be updated.
Update a single product
- On the product page, locate the product you want, and click 'edit'.
- Scroll down the page to the tax section.
- Use the drop-down menus to select the correct tax rate for the product.
Update multiple products
If you've got lots of products you need to update, you can update these using a CSV import. You'll need to change the value in the 'Tax_Name' field to match the name of the required tax rate.
Important: Individual Tax Rates and Xero
If you're using Xero, you might like to ensure the account you send sales of this product to has the same tax rate as the custom rate you've just set in Vend.
You can do this by adjusting the account sales code as well as the tax rate.
For example you:
- Sell GST-free fresh produce in a retail outlet with a default tax of GST.
- Set the fresh produce to 'No Tax' on the product pages.
- Set the Sales Account Code to an account in Xero with no tax.