Often, when linking your Vend account with your Shopify store, you will already have existing products in both Vend and Shopify. If this is the case, you should link these products together so that stock changes are synced between Vend and Shopify. Below are the three most common scenarios you might encounter when linking your Vend and Shopify products.
- Once your Vend and Shopify accounts are connected, Vend becomes the system of record.
- You should manage your product catalogue, pricing and inventory information in Vend to ensure everything stays accurate and up-to-date.
- Shopify feeds important information back to Vend such as online sales, new customer or existing customer information associated with a sale, and inventory from a sale to keep stock levels in sync.
- Please click the following link for more on how to use the Shopify integration!
Scenario 1: I have common products in Vend and Shopify with matching SKU and handle combinations.
If you have common products in Vend and Shopify, pulling the products from Shopify will link them to the same products in Vend based on the exact match of SKU and handle combination. To do this:
Navigate to Setup -> Apps and click the edit pencil next to Shopify
Once here click Get Shopify Products followed by Get All Shopify Products from the drop down.
All of your Shopify products will be linked with Vend and any products with matching SKU and handle combinations will be linked together going forward. If you are using Barcodes in Shopify, you will need to transfer these to the Variant SKU field within Shopify before you pull them into Vend. This is to ensure that the products will match with an existing Vend product.
Selecting Get All Shopify Products will pull all the information from Shopify and overwrite what is currently in Vend. Please make sure all the relevant information is in Shopify before you initiate the pull into Vend. You could also take back ups of your current Vend products by following the steps below:
- Export your product list to a CSV file. You will have a copy of your current inventory levels in Vend.
- Link your Shopify products with Vend. You can confirm this once every product in Vend displays the "green view on Shopify banner". Whatever inventory level is showing for a product in Shopify will now show in Vend as well.
- Import the product CSV file back into Vend to bring back the inventory levels from before the link.
Scenario 2: I have products in both Vend and Shopify, and none of them are common, but I want to link and keep all the products on both platforms.
Sometimes you may have a set of products in Vend and a different set in Shopify. If you’d like to combine the two, so both Vend and Shopify have all of the same Products, follow the steps below:
1. First, bring the Shopify products into Vend by clicking navigating to Setup -> Apps then clicking the edit pencil next to Shopify. Next click on the Get Shopify Products followed by Get All Shopify Products from the drop down.
Any images attached to products in Shopify will not come into Vend. If you want these images in Vend, you’ll have to upload the images afterwards manually.
2. Publish the Vend products to Shopify by going to the same Shopify settings page in Vend but this time, click Publish Products to Shopify.
By doing this, all active products in Vend will be published to your Shopify store.
Important: We will only send the main product image to Shopify. If you wish to show multiple images, such as images for the variant products, then you’ll need to upload these separately.
Scenario 3: I have products in Vend and Shopify, and most of them are common but the SKU and handle combinations between Vend and Shopify do not match.
Sometimes you may have the same products in Vend and Shopify, but the SKU’s and/or handles for these products may not match up perfectly between Vend and Shopify. To fix this:
1. Make sure that the common products in Vend and Shopify have the same SKU and a handle combination.
2. If any common products in Vend and Shopify do not have matching SKU and handle combinations then edit the SKU or handle for these products in either Shopify or Vend.
Before going ahead with this change it is important to note the implications of changing SKUs and handles in Vend or Shopify:
Changing the handle in Shopify -> This will change the last bit of the product URL, meaning any SEO, FB campaign, Google Adwords and other digital marketing links will break.
Changing the handle in Vend -> The handle of a standard product can be changed via CSV and directly in Vend. However, the handle of a product with variants can only be changed directly in Vend and not via the CSV.
Changing the SKUs in Vend -> If you use barcodes in store then you’d have to print the barcode again for the new SKUs.
Please check with Shopify Support regarding the implications of changing the SKU and handle.
3. Once you have the handle and SKU match for every product then navigate to the Shopify Settings page in Vend and click Get Shopify Products followed by Get All Shopify Products from the drop down.. This way Vend will look for the SKU and handle combination of the Shopify products and link them together.
4. It is important that you “Get All Shopify Products” when you are first linking Shopify with Vend. Once you’ve done this, all future products should be created in Vend, as Vend will be the system of record for all inventory and product management going forward.
Upon using the "Get All Shopify Products" feature, the Barcode field may be used if SKUs are missing.